Finally Embracing the Fall/Winter Color Palette…

13 Jan

My craving for deep plums and berries, olives, and rich reds has finally hit in full force…several months too late, apparently, as many brands are beginning their collective and meticulously coordinated launches into all things spring. Still, despite the sunny skies and often 80-degree weather here in So-Cal, I’m just beginning to embrace my love of all things fall/winter. It coould possibly have a little something to do with these boots:

I bought them last week from Hautelook! They’re by French Connection and retail for about $150 or so but I got them for a steal at $63! Yaay–happy!! :D I should point out that I am so not a big shoe gal. In fact, I probably only own about 6 pairs of shoes–3 that I actually wear on a daily basis (Converse, flipflops, and my workout Nikes). So purchasing something so “fancy-shmancy” (at least to me, the queen of comfy-casual) is completely new for me. But I am excited that I finally have a “grown up” pair of casual shoes to dress up my outfits a bit without being too much, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, so I got these shoes and since then, I think they’ve inspired me a bit to get back into the spirit of the cold(ish) weather season and play with my makeup items that are usually collecting dust, since I tend to favor a more warm, summery makeup look year-round. So what have I been reaching for? Let’s take a look!

–L to R: Jouer Powder Eyeshadow singles* (connected together using Jouer’s innovative slide-n-lock packaging) in Crème, Mahogany, and Pistachio, Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette* in 500 Turandot–

For my eyes, I’ve been really liking these 3 Jouer shadows: Crème* (satin matte ivory), Mahogany* (sparkling deep plum-brown), and Pistachio* (shimmering olive green). I’ve had these lying around for quite a while to be honest (ah, the perils of having an overloaded beauty stash and a wardrobe/closet to stash them in that makes it not-so-easy to see everything you own, rendering many beautiful items virtually invisible and, therefore, unused by me :/) but when I got the hankering to start playing around with some fall shades, I discovered this cute little trio that, when combined, formed the perfect, quintessentially fall-esque eyeshadow palette!

As for Turandot*, well…just look at that beauty! Many people have professed their love for this palette and with good reason–the shades are so, so gorgeous, pair beautifully together, and scream “fall/winter” to me (though they are beautiful any other time of the year, as well). The lovely Christina from Temptalia (who, I’m sure, has one of the largest makeup collections known to man) also chose to use this very palette on her wedding day–one of the most important days of a woman’s life!–so need I really say anymore than that?!

I also want to add that I have currently reignited my love affair with Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes Liner in 5L (a gorgeous olive green), which I was absolutely obsessed with about a year and a half ago. I forgot to photograph it though and besides, my current one is very tiny and ugly and used-up so not sure you would have wanted to see it anyway. :P

–L to R: Senna Sheer Face Color in Moonberry*, Becca Mineral Blush in Sweetpea, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed, Youngblood Crushed Mineral Blush in Rouge*

In theory, the idea of a sweetly flushed, I-just-took-a-brisk-walk-outside-in-the-cold type of cheek is incredibly appealing but in reality, I’m quite boring with my makeup and tend to reach for the same shades of peach and warm pink over and over again. But I must say, once I embraced the fall/winter eye colors, the rest of the face just kind of naturally followed suit. I started pulling out my beloved Becca Sweetpea and Tarte Exposed (I know, I know–I gave this blush a lot of crap when I first got it but honestly, I get the fuss now. The texture is obviously not my favorite but the color…I really get it!)  more and more. Once I had acclimated to not wearing a peachy hue on my cheeks everyday, I decided it was time to bring out the big guns–shades that I have always been too chicken to wear: Senna’s Moonberry* and Youngblood’s Rouge*.

Moonberry is a luscious sheer berry. I will just say it now: I love it. Absolutely love it. I can’t believe it’s taken me til now to bring myself to try a berry shade like this. In the pan, it looks dark and intimidating but silly me, I should’ve known that deep berry blushes like these are usually on the sheerer side to render them more wearable. I mean really, this blush is gorgeous on the cheeks and very easy to wear!

Once I got over my fear of Moonberry, Youngblood’s Rouge suddenly didn’t seem so bad anymore. I usually steer clear of red-toned blushes since the very tip of my nose tends to get red a lot. But Rouge is, again, quite sheer and super-duper easy to blend out (thanks to the loose powder form) and looks oh-so-natural on the cheeks. It’s a simple blush and contains no shimmer or glitter–it’s just a really pretty matte, mid-tone, warm reddish-pink. Applied very sparingly, I look like I’m naturally blushing. Applied a bit heavier, I look like a snow bunny fresh off the powdery slopes. Either way, the effect is gorgeous.

–Jouer Tinted Lip Enhancer in Shiraz*, Fresh Sugar Plum Tinted Lip Treatment SPF15, Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in 68 Troublant–

True to form, I prefer my berry/plummy lip colors on the sheer side. My 3 favorite lip products that provide the perfect accompaniment to the products above are Jouer’s Tinted Lip Enhancer in Shiraz*, Fresh’s Sugar Plum Tinted Lip Treatment SPF15, and Chanel’s Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in Troublant (practically brand-new because I’m so bad and have barely touched the poor thing since purchasing it in fall 2012, despite the fact that I LOVE the color and the formula). The first 2 products are perfect for daytime and are great because they are tinted balms, so no extra layer of lip balm underneath is required.

Troublant, on the other hand, is just a bit more creamy and pigmented and really adds a bit more drama to a look–perfect for a non-fussy nighttime lip. It’s glossy and sexy and is surprisingly moisturizing for a gloss. It also lasts hours on the lips. I really have nothing bad to say about this beautiful gloss!

–Swatches L to R: Jouer Crème, Mahogany, Pistachio, Guerlain Turandot Palette far left shade, top middle shade, bottom middle shade, far right shade, Senna Moonberry, Becca Sweetpea, Tarte Exposed, Youngblood Rouge–

–click images to enlarge–

I apologize in advance for the mismatched quality and sizing of the photos below. I admit, I was too lazy to retake the swatch photos of the lip products so I just used the old swatch photos from the original reviews.

–Fresh Sugar Plum on right–

–Jouer Shiraz second from left–

–Chanel Troublant swatched heavily on left and sheered out on right–

So how bout you guys–are you still embracing the different shades of fall/winter or have you already moved on to spring? What are some of your favorite products for creating a wintery look?

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

*this particular product was won in a giveaway held by the gorgeous and always sweet Lily from ChloeAsh.com. Despite this, my opinion of the product remains honest and unbiased

30 Responses to “Finally Embracing the Fall/Winter Color Palette…”

1. ChicScience January 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Such pretty colors! I love fall and winter collections more than spring ones. XO :)

• becca January 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Really? I usually prefer summer (of course :P) but this is the first time I’ve really, truly appreciated very fall/wintery colors like these. It’s nice to finally try something different–I think I was really starting to bore myself by wearing the same shades over and over and over again :P lol!

2. Tracy@Beauty Reflections January 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

Everything is so PRETTY in this post! But you know, I think I’m a Spring Collection Girl. I’ve always thought I was fall or winter, but I’ve finally realized I look better in the lighter brighter stuff of spring! Only took me 20 years to figure out LOL!! Those boots are GORGEOUS!!

• becca January 13, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

Girl, you can pull just about ANYTHING off! But I do admit, spring’s brighter shades DO look particularly beautiful on you–especially with the *awesome* pink in your hair! The combination of bright pink lips and bright pink hair you’ve been sporting is flawless!! :D

3. Liz January 13, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

THOSE BOOTS – GIMME. ;D

Wifey, you did great! Congratulations on branching out on footwear AND forging into red blush territory. I’m a sucker for fall/winter collections and used to haul heavily from them most in the past, but I’ve fallen head over heels for brighter shades lately. I think it’s an age thing, so you needn’t worry for a while. ;)

Chanel Troublant tempted me greatly when it was released. Please enjoy extra on my behalf!

• becca January 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Bahaha–thank you, thank you! :D I’m so proud of myself–imagine, boring ol’ me wearing a RED toned blush and BOOTIES, of all things! I’m all growed up now! :P

I have noticed your penchant for bright toned blushes and lipsticks lately–you go, wifey! Those are some BOLD shades you are rocking! Bravo!

4. Taylor January 13, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Love the booties, and oooh Turnadot! I’ve recently acquired Les Fauves and am in awe of the shades and formula! Guerlain palettes are absolute perfection and I am sadly smitten. I love Berry shades of fall but always am partial to shades of summer. I wear golds, bronzes and coral year-round in slight shade differences. I need to move to SoCal :-)

• becca January 13, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks Taylor! And isn’t Guerlain’s eyeshadow formula just lovely?! When I started to wear Turandot again, I had to smack myself for not reaching for it more–I love everything about it! And lucky you–Les Fauves is GORGEOUS! I ordered it awhile back but after a mixup with my order, I canceled the order and kinda forgot about it for a while. But now, really want it again. PERFECT for spring/summer! :D

5. Lily January 13, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

Thanks for the shout out girl, and THOSE BOOTS! Love your taste :-) I’ve never really been a Spring color girl, and in our tropical country, we can kinda get away with all sorts of colours. Summer and Fall colours are my favourite. Winter shades are too frosty and Spring too pastel. I’m fussy. LOL!

• becca January 13, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Of course, Lily! Thank YOU again for the gorgeous, gorgeous palette! Seriously, it’s one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes–the colors, the textures…all around awesomeness!

And I completely agree about spring shades–pastels just DO NOT work for my warm, yellow-toned skin. Winter shades are usually not my thing but (obviously, as shown in this post) the plums and berries of fall/winter are really starting to grow on me! But the frostier winter shades are a big no-no on me too, so I definitely feel you on that!

6. Larie January 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

I love ALL THE SEASONS, hahaha. Except winter. Winter sucks. I like the color palettes, though :) And this is a gorgeous set of autumnal shades! I think I’m moving into spring myself (wishful thinking!) although I still have a soft spot for some metallics.

• becca January 13, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

Oooh metallics! I have been swooning over them for months now but I haven’t indulged in any items for FAR too long. I’ve been such a good girl–I think that needs to change. LOL! :P

7. Sunny January 14, 2014 at 1:28 am #

Hey Becca, what a beautiful post! I love your new ankle boots! I resisted them for a long time, but I got a pair last year and I can see what the fuss is all about ;) I am a bit like you because I always reach for coral and peachy blushes, but this season I have fallen for plums and raspberry pinks, so I’ve been loving RBR Florita and Tom Ford Ravish!

• becca January 14, 2014 at 2:21 am #

Aw thank you so much, Sunny! And yes, definitely excited to finally join the “grown up” world of shoes–lol! Really though, it was much needed. I seriously wear my Converses with EVERYTHING and probably look like a 15-year old all the time. :P These boots will hopefully get a lot of use out of me! (though now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have gotten a pair with a lower heel to start with? Hope I don’t trip and fall! :P)

And nice choices–Florita is SO pretty and is a shade that I have always admired from afar but have been WAY too scared to try. Now, I just might take the plunge and order it! Is it super pigmented, Sunny?

8. Kate @ drivelaboutfrivol January 14, 2014 at 2:17 am #

I admit to being a sucker for all things seasonal — so much so that I dunno what my own tastes are, reliably :P
    However, I’m mainly here to say “killer boots” and “hurray! someone with fewer pairs of shoes than me!” :D If you get a sudden influx of muggle visitors, those are my girlfriends — I’m going to forward them this post as evidence ;)

• becca January 14, 2014 at 2:27 am #

LOL! Trust me there is NOTHING wrong with that–I wish I could flow freely from one season to the next, comfortable with wearing shades from any one with aplomb! But alas, my darker, yellow-undertoned skin apparently does not take kindly to pastels, cool tones, extremely frosty or metallic shades, very bright colors…CURSE YOU AND YOUR GORGEOUS, FLAWLESS SNOW-WHITE COMPLEXION AND ITS ABILITY TO MAKE ANY SHADE POP!!! :P

As for shoes, I admit I’m surprised to hear you say that! Your outfits are always SO freaking cute, I guess I just imagined that you had a killer shoe collection to boot! (no pun intended! :P)

9. Bellyhead January 14, 2014 at 6:42 am #

All the beautiful autumnal/winter things Becca!!! <3
    Hot booties be hot!

• becca January 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

Haha thanks Belly!!! The real test will be if I can walk in them without tripping and breaking my ankles :P

10. Natalie January 14, 2014 at 9:25 am #

I love these colors! Fall/Winter colors are m favorite color palette of the year and your eyeshadow and lip color picks are amazing!

Its kind of crazy how its still winter here in the northeast but all the spring collections are coming out.

• becca January 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

Aw thanks so much, Natalie! :D

I wish it still felt like winter here :/ Today was HOT–as soon as I stepped outside, I regretted my autumnal makeup look and started craving bronzer and coral blush! It’s all very disorienting–winter but feels like summer yet the spring collections are coming out. What the what?!! :P lol

11. Beauty Box January 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

What a lovely ode to Fall/Winter shades. I never knew Christine from Temptalia used that palette for her wedding – it’s gorgeous! I love the look of the Fresh plum lip balm and is on my wish list. Though I prob shouldn’t be buying more stuff. I have the same problem as you – I have plenty of palettes, blush and lippies that I hardly use because they are stored in my bathroom cupboard. I just went through this cupboard to throw some stuff out but I just kept discovering things I love and cannot bear to toss them out. I have to be mindful to rotate them!

• becca January 14, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

Thanks my dear! :D Yeah, Christina sure did pick Turandot for her wedding makeup–she created a beautiful eye look with it!

And yes, rotating out your makeup is REALLY difficult when the items are not right in front of you–I always forget about items. Then when I go to clean out my stash, I can’t bear to part with anything so I keep them then forget about them again…it’s a vicious cycle :P lol

12. Toya January 16, 2014 at 7:10 am #

Love love LOVE the color palette here, Becca! I really wish I had gotten a chance to check out Turandot – I have read so much about it, it sounds like the most dreamy, wonderful palette ever! I can just see this whole color scheme looking FABULOUS on you, my dear!

• becca January 17, 2014 at 2:13 am #

Aw thank you Toya, love!! Yeah it’s definitely different seeing my face swathed in these berries, reds, and plums but also nice! REALLY liking the Senna and Youngblood blushes–soooo different from anything I’m used to wearing! :D

13. Catherine @ bcrueltyfree January 16, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Haha I am the same way, Becca… personally, I’m drawn to summer colors naturally, year-round, so it always takes me a while to really get on the winter/fall color scheme. Luckily I can swing bronze-y tones as season-appropriate pretty much year-round ;) I am liking that Guerlain eyeshadow palette, very pretty

• becca January 17, 2014 at 2:14 am #

Oooh yes, agreed: bronzey tones are ALWAYS appropriate! :D

And I’m very surprised I don’t own more Guerlain shadows–this is my only Guerlain palette and the quality is AMAZING (as one might imagine). I swear that brand can do no wrong!

14. Icaria January 18, 2014 at 6:01 am #

Oh Becca! I thought I was safe from Turandot! Such a gorgeous palette oh & I looove the booties! :)

• becca January 18, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

LOL I know when I very first saw photos of Turandot, I thought it was pretty but I didn’t feel like I absolutely HAD to have it. But now that I have it, I can’t imagine NOT having it–it’s such a staple, but an interesting twist on the staple, if that makes sense :P It really is lovely! So sad it’s LE though :(

15. Gummy February 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Uuuummmm, those boots are SO SO beautiful!!! Gah what a great price too!!! So much Fall goodness…to be honest even though it’s almost Spring I’m not ready to let go of the berries and vampy and darker colors ha ha :-)

• becca February 13, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

I don’t blame you! I don’t want to give them up either, now that I’ve FINALLY embraced them! :P But I will say, I’ve been reaching for the purply-taupes and pink blushes more and more lately…doesn’t help that its been in the low 80′s here in So-Cal!