Winter or Not, I’m Still Loving my Guerlain Bronzers!

15 Dec

Quick post today! Longtime readers of The Beauty Sample know that one of my all-time favorite bronzers is Guerlain’s Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powder in Brunettes. Immensely flattering and oh-so easy to use, Brunettes is a one-stop product that gives you that wonderful, naturally radiant summery glow without having to worry about applying a separate bronzer, blush, or even highlighter. I reach for mine almost daily, as evident by the amount of pan showing through the powder (though to be fair, it started as a small amount showing through and became larger after I dropped the compact on my bathroom floor :/). That’s a first, for me–I’ve never hit pan in any other cheek product before!–so you know this stuff has got to be good.

So when I was given the opportunity to try out Guerlain’s Sun Brunettes* version–courtesy of the amazing site Izzy’s Beauty Shoppe (have you guys checked the site out yet? It’s pretty darn awesome and you can find a lot of really amazing discontinued or hard-to-find items there!)–how could I resist?? I knew it would be love at first swipe. And love it was…

The difference between Sun Brunettes and Brunettes is that Sun Brunettes is slightly darker in its brown tones and features a bit more shimmer (though, as you can see from the swatches below, the shimmer doesn’t look inherently shimmery but instead results in a glow) and brighter, more saturated mid-tone coral hues, as opposed to Brunettes’ softer apricots. I know many people tend to shy away from using very warm, glowy bronzers during this time of year but the California-girl in me insists on it year-round. There’s just nothing like adding a few swipes of these to add some life back into a dull winter pallor!

–Brunettes–

–Sun Brunettes–

Though both are flattering on just about any skin tone and work well year-round, Sun Brunettes is, in my opinion, just a bit more flattering during/post summer. It really compliments a natural tan beautifully and has you looking sunny and radiant in no time at all.

I’d been reaching for Sun Brunettes regularly up until about 2 weeks ago, when the weather finally changed drastically enough in San Diego and my tan had faded considerably enough for me to make the switch back to Brunettes. Between the 2, I’ve got my bases covered for any type of weather–rain, shine, gloom, or sun!

–swatches: Brunettes on left, Sun Brunettes on right (click images to enlarge)–

There are 4 different variations of the Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powders available: Blondes, Brunettes, Sun Blondes, and Sun Brunettes. For a look at Sun Blondes, check out this great review from Tiffany over at Will Work for Makeup. There is also currently a new version available–Crazy Terracotta Healthy Glow Powder (see Best Things in Beauty’s great review here)–available as part of Guerlain’s Holiday 2013 collection and which needs to be mine immediately. I’m officially obsessed with these divine bronzers and probably won’t stop until I have all of them in my possession! :P

What about you guys–have you tried any of Guerlain’s Terracotta bronzers? If so, which one’s your favorite? Have you tried the Crazy Terracotta Healthy Glow Powder yet? Is it as amazing as it looks in photos?

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

18 Responses to “Winter or Not, I’m Still Loving my Guerlain Bronzers!”

1. Larie December 15, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Pretty! And it seems well loved ;) That’s always nice to see! Haha. I’m not very good with bronzers, so I don’t use them so often, but I’m trying! I just…either I don’t see any difference, or I accidentally went overboard, LOL. What brush do you like to use?

• becca December 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Haha yes–the sad state it’s in is a true testament to how much I love it. No bs, I never was into bronzer either until I started using Brunettes. Not to sound dramatic, but it changed my life! Now I LOVE bronzer–but only if it’s really subtle and easy-to-use/wear like the Guerlain Terracotta ones are…otherwise, like you, I will *totally* go overboard and look ridiculous! :P

I used to just use a fluffy Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush to apply but lately, I’ve been loving Senna’s Powder Point brush. It creates a very light, even dusting of product and the pointed shape gets into the hollows of my cheekbones perfectly! :)

2. Sunny December 15, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Aww I’m so sorry to hear you dropped that one! I’d DIE!

Melodrama aside, I can definitely see why you like this stuff! I have Crazy Terracotta and it’s the bronzer I’m obsessed with for the moment. It’s interesting how it translates on my skin tone, while those who are fairer can most probably use it as a blush.

• becca December 16, 2013 at 4:29 am #

LOL it’s okay–I totally almost cried when it happened. I love that thing so much! :P

And AH, you are making me want Crazy Terracotta so bad. I remember seeing how it looks on your skin and it’s just beautiful! SO so subtle but really makes the skin look lively and fresh. “Healthy Glow Powder” is the perfect name for it! :) Can’t wait til I’m finished Christmas shopping so I can treat myself to it! haha

3. Lily December 16, 2013 at 3:42 am #

These always take my breath away. I have yet to splurge on one because I hardly use bronzers – it just doesn’t make sense for me to buy it. They’re so pretty though… actually, they’re gorgeous!

• becca December 16, 2013 at 4:33 am #

They ARE really pretty to look at, huh?! :) But even more than that, they are GLORIOUS on the skin! I know how you feel–I never, ever wore bronzer really. On a whim, I decided to purchase Brunettes one day
      (mostly because of the pretty mosaic design but I also had never tried anything from Guerlain’s line and was curious!) and thank God I did! I wear it more than any other cheek product I own–it looks beautiful with anything! And it looks so subtle and effortless. The pretty peachy tones in it makes it the best blusher/bronzer I’ve tried. And I KNOW you love blush so just think of this as a blush with brown tones to give the skin a sunny glow, as well! I can’t recommend it more–please give it a try next time you come across a tester. I swear you will fall in love, Lily!

4. Tracy@Beauty Reflections December 16, 2013 at 10:31 am #

You know, I love pretty much all things Guerlain, but for some reason I just can’t get into their bronzers. I find them always so orange on me-even the blondes one as I’ve tried that one. These are lovely quality wise for sure, and am glad they work for you lovely Becca!
    I use bronzer EVERY day dude. Can’t be without it!

• becca December 17, 2013 at 1:46 am #

Aw, really? Sorry these didn’t work for you, Tracy! I’m surprised they turn orange on you–but I guess everything can’t work for everybody.

And YES–bronzer is a must every. single. day! I’m totally eyeing Guerlain’s loose bronzers next. I was recently reading a post where someone was raving about how incredibly natural-looking those are. I love Guerlain’s bronzers but have yet to try a matte one so I think I will go for that one next! What are some of your favorite bronzers, Tracy?

5. Gummy December 16, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Woooow Sun Brunettes look so gorgeous…look at those colors in the sunlight!!! I’ve been so loving RBR that I’m a bit hard pressed to try another bronzer, but when I do I’ll definitely have to keep this one in mind!!

• becca December 17, 2013 at 1:48 am #

Ooh yes, please do try this at the counter next time you’re able, K! If you’re accustomed to a traditional matte bronzer like Goldcombe Bay, I think Guerlain’s Terracotta bronzers would be a pleasant surprise. The peachy tones in them (or pink, if you go the Blondes route–equally pretty!) are very subtle but are just enough to have them act as beautiful blusher/bronzers. You literally just swipe it across your face haphazardly and voila–gorgeous, radiant complexion! I can’t rave about these enough! :)

6. Makeup Morsels December 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

Ah yes, I’ve heard a ton about these. Gotta catch em all type thing, right? :P Believe it or not, I have yet to try these (I know!). Will definitely have to get around to it someday because they sound absolutely divine.

• becca December 19, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Lol yes exactly-Pokemon style!! :P they really are so gorgeous and effortless, though. I can’t sing their praises enough! I know you aren’t one for wearing much cheek color but if ever you decided to change that, these should be a go to. They’re fool-proof and provide such gorgeous color and radiance for very little effort :-)

7. svetlana December 20, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

it looks so subtle yet warm. i always strayed away from these bronzers afraid that it would look to harsh against my skin. how do all those magical colors blend so well every time? it overwhelmed me… maybe 2014 will be the year i take that leap of faith?… MAYBE!

• becca December 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Oh no no no–harsh these bronzers are NOT! If you are relatively new to bronzers, you couldn’t pick a better product to start with. This is the first real bronzer I used and got me addicted! The fact that it’s a sheerer blusher/bronzer type product makes it easy to blush-users to dip their toe into the world of bronzers. These ones are SO pretty and so easy to use! They’re pricey but highly worth the money. I gawked at the price tag at first but it’s the ONLY cheek product I’ve ever hit pan on so it’s invaluable to me :)

Try it next time you’re at the department store! Trust me, you’ll LOVE it! ;)

8. Jacqueline December 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Hey Becca, I love my bronzers too and Guerlain definitely make great ones.

• becca December 21, 2013 at 12:43 am #

Oh I knew YOU would know what I was talking about since we have such similar taste in cheek products and you own EVERYTHING that I want, practically! :P Guerlain’s Terracotta bronzers are def my fave though. Have you tried the new Crazy one, Jacqui?

9. Liz December 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Your pictures are just SICK. SO MUCH GORGEOUSNESS!!!

I only use bronzers during transition seasons when my complexion looks wan and I need a boost of something-something. Radiant from the Hourglass Ambient Palette is pretty amazing and adds a really subtle glow, so I really don’t feel the need for any more bronzers. BUT… I shall make an exception for a Guerlain some day. SOME DAY! :D

• becca December 22, 2013 at 2:21 am #

Ahahaha–thank you, wifey!! :D

I am soo glad that you brought up Hourglass Radiant–I use it as a subtle “bronzer” too. LOVE using it that way–it’s soooo natural looking and glowy! If you love that kind of subtle, glow-inducing cheek product, yes you DEF need the Guerlain Terracotta bronzers in your life!!