2 Body Oils That Will Help Your Summer Tan Glow On and On

23 Sep

««Press Samples»»

Okay so I know that tanning is bad and all but sometimes, no matter how much sunscreen you put on, developing a tan is inevitable during the hot summers–especially if spend the majority of your time outside enjoying the beautiful weather (as you should be!). Seriously, it does no matter how much sunscreen I apply or how high the SPF–if I spend more than an hour outside, I will always, always come back in about 1-2 shades darker. It’s like I’m immune or something! :P Still, I’ve really enjoyed having a little color this year, as last year I was white (or as white as I can be, anyway :P) and pasty year-round.

And I don’t care what the color of your skin is: everyone looks healthier and more radiant with a touch of color to their complexion (which is why bronzer is so popular, no?). So I’m always sad to see my tan fade away come fall/winter. Yes, bronzer is easily applied to the face for that glow but what about your body? If you’re like me and are deathly afraid of self-tanning products, why not try reaching for one of these glow-enhancing body oils this year*? Guaranteed, they will leave your limbs glistening, glowing, and radiant from fall through winter and spring!

*these oils are not meant to be used in place of self-tanner. They just provide a very slight touch of warmth and radiance to the skin which, I find, compliment and subtly enhance a natural tan quite nicely :)

First up is May Lindstrom’s The Good Stuff Radiance Oil. Now you may have already heard me wax poetic about this luscious elixir here but it’s so good, it’s definitely worth the extra mention! This silky golden concoction from May Lindstrom’s eponymous skincare line is nothing short of incredibleI usually don’t go for very foody scents but there’s just something about the scent of The Good Stuff…it’s warm and intoxicating and sexy–all without being overpowering or heady or sickeningly sweet.

The initial scent is quite cocoa-y–not in a super rich, sugary way but in a raw, kind of earthy way. Think natural cacao (or in this case, cocoa oil) vs. a Hershey’s bar, for example. Once it has settled into the skin, however, the scent almost “dries down” like a fragrance would into a more complex aroma. There’s still just a hint of cocoa but with an underlying touch of sweet floral from the rose absolute oil and lavender oil. I know it sounds strange and you’re probably thinking “ew, a chocolate-y floral??” but trust me, it works. Remember, this is coming from someone who is not a fan or gourmand-y scents.

The Good Stuff isn’t really a dry oil, though it does have a nice, silky feel and doesn’t feel thick or greasy at all. For this reason, I do recommend The Good Stuff for home use and post-shower use. The scent also really lends itself to a relaxing night in due to its subtlety and warm, soothing notes.

Still, the lovely sunshine-y gold color and glimmering gold particles in the oil add a dash of luxury to the otherwise mundane task of hydrating the skin. The shimmers are not too bling-bling but add just the right amount of glimmer to the limbs. It’s an incredibly effective ward against both dry skin and a dull winter pallor. :)

–the gold shimmer is just a tiny bit more noticeable in real life, though not by much. This is a very subtle shimmering body oil–

Next, we have Nuxe’s wildly popular body oil: the Huile Prodigieuse Or. I have wanted to try this oil for so long–practically everyone in the beauty blogging world raves about this stuff! When I finally got my hands on a bottle, I was not disappointed. First of all, the scent is just heavenly. It’s definitely more along the lines of what I’d hoped the Lierac Huile Sensorielle would smell like. It’s light and feminine–playful but not at all adolescent. It’s a scent that will appeal to many and suit just about everyone!

The Huile Prodigieuse is a dry oil. It’s very light and leaves no greasy mess behind, only smooth, hydrated, delicately perfumed skin.

The shimmer in this oil is much more intense compared to The Good Stuff, as you can see from the swatch photos below. For this reason, I think it’s a great oil to use prior to going out. It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave an oily residue, so you can get dressed right away; it can replace your fragrance; and it leaves your skin glowing as if lit from within. Who wouldn’t want their skin to look that way before a hot date or a big night out?!

–doesn’t it look like molten sand? Beautiful!–

–you can definitely see the shimmer in this oil a lot better than in The Good Stuff–

Aside from smelling insanely amazing and leaving your skin glowing, I’ve found that both oils also give your limbs a slightly toned look as well. There are just no downsides to these guys!!

Both are absolute winners in my book and of course, neither one is limited to use for just day or night. Since I have both, that’s how I personally like to wear them but they both work beautifully no matter the time of day. It really just depends on the glimmer-factor and scent that you are looking for. I love them both equally though so if I were you, I’d splurge and just get them both. You’ll thank me later! ;)

On a side note, did you guys know that today was the first official day of fall (in the Northern Hemisphere, at least)? Hope you all enjoyed your summer–here’s to the start of a fantastic fall season! :)

♥Becca

What have been some of you guys’ go-to lip products this summer? I’d love to know! :D

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

16 Responses to “2 Body Oils That Will Help Your Summer Tan Glow On and On”

1. Icaria September 23, 2013 at 7:09 am #

Oh Becca I’m so happy you like Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse! It’s been my summer go to. I guess I should try the Gold version but I always end up buying something else since I have the original. :)

• becca September 23, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

Me too! There’s been nothing like it for adding a quick glow and some light fragrance before heading out this summer. I’ve loved it so much–and I’ve gotten lots of compliments on the scent! :D Will def have to try the original version for winter once this little bottle runs out…though it will still last me quite a long time, I’m sure :P

2. The Procrastinator September 23, 2013 at 9:31 am #

The Huile Prodigieuse is one of my favourite oils! It delivers the most fantastic amount of shimmer and I can’t get enough of the fragrance! The May Lindstrom packaging is reallllly pretty though.

• becca September 23, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

I know, I am SO in love with May’s packaging for her line. It’s so simple and I just adore the fine gold print and the dandelion logo :) It’s an amazing line–you really have to try something from her sometime if you are able!

3. Tracy@Beauty Reflections September 23, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I really want to try some May Lindstrom! Her products sound amazing every time someone reviews them! I like the idea of these oils, but I’m to scared of walking around feeling greasy all day lol!

• becca September 23, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Oh trust me, Tracy, you won’t–I swear! Especially with the Nuxe oil. It’s very dry so it’s still silky and hydrating but I promise you: ZERO greasiness and/or residue!! You don’t even have to worry with The Good Stuff either. It’s not technically a dry oil but it absorbs beautifully and I think your drier skin will drink it right up!! :D

4. Lily September 23, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

I’m using the Nuxe original and in my country’s weather, it does get uncomfortable. I suppose it’s the extremely high humidity here. I have tried this shimmery one and it does look great on!

• becca September 23, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Oh really?? I’m sorry to hear that, Lily. I can imagine the muggy weather playing a big part in that though…I personally probably wouldn’t use this–or any body oil–if I lived in a more humid climate, as well!

5. Beauty Box September 27, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Your write up on the Nuxe dry body oil makes me want to get one – haha – even though I’m not one to hanker after looking tanned in the colder months, or even the warmer months. Like you, I tan even with SPF50 slathered all over my face and body during the summer months. I won’t turn a deep brown but I would get 1-2 shades darker without even trying. I’ve been using Lanolips Lemonaid Lipaid alot this summer as a night treatment – helps lips from peeling.

• becca October 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

LOL I actually usually don’t like to “tan” per se but after getting a bit more color than usual this year, I found that I rather liked the golden color I had for a change :) But tan or not, the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Or looks BEAUTIFUL on the skin and really makes you glowy and radiant (and, of course, smell amazing too!). I highly recommend–it deserves every bit of the hype it gets!

And I’ve heard a lot about Lanolips but have never tried it…not sure if it’s available in the states? Online of course but I don’t really like to order things online. lol! I like the name though! Lemonaide, mmm….sounds refreshing!

PS: SO sorry for the late reply! I’ve been terrible about checking my blog/email :/ Hope all is well with you!

6. Makeup Morsels October 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Oh god, I adore The Good Stuff, it’s just SO decadent. The finish on Nuxe’s version is beautiful though! Just the right amount of shimmer…glimmer? I love it, bet it looks gorgeous with a tan, just like you said :)

• becca October 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Decadent is SO the right word for it–it just feels so rich and lovely but doesn’t leave you slimy or greasy. Absolutely love it! Especially have been loving the scent as the weather grows cooler…there’s just something so comforting about it!

7. Lara October 7, 2013 at 1:54 am #

Nice review! I love body oils. And shimmer sounds great. I always want to try the may one but it is sooooo pricey! I just cannot justify spending 110$ on a 100 ml body oil. The nuxe sounds nice, though for me it is a bit too chemical (including the frageance). I think omorovicza does a gold one too, which is more natural ingredient wise but much cheaper than the may one.

• becca October 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

Yeah definitely not gonna lie: The Good Stuff is WAY pricey and if I were in your shoes, I’d definitely have reservations about paying that much for a body oil too :/ It’s always hard though because since I have tried the press sample, I am absolutely *hooked*! On one hand, I’m thinking “I’ve NEVER paid that much for a body product before (not even perfume) and I’m not sure I want to start now” but on the other hand, this stuff is AMAZING and smells heavenly and oh man does it make your skin so soft and glowy….darn it!! :P haha!

Haven’t heard of the Omorovicza one but I’m curious now…must definitely Google that and check out the ingredients/reviews ;)

8. Memoiselle October 7, 2013 at 6:12 am #

Hey Becca,

I love NUXE body oil :)
    I have tried the clear ones and I love the smell and the feeling. It’s not sticky but it’s soo moisturizing! French drugstore brands are great!

• becca October 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Oh I agree–SO glad that more and more French drugstore brands are becoming available here in the states. It’s a dream come true!! I do wish Nuxe were more readily available like Leirac or La Roche-Posay but all in good time, I suppose :)

Hope all is well, my dear! I miss talking to you! How are things?? (so sorry for the late reply!!)