More Sheer Lip Candy

12 Aug

««Press Samples»»

It’s no secret that I’m a maniac when it comes to sheer lip color. What’s not to love? You can experiment and play without fear because when a lipstick is sheer, even the brightest most daunting shades become easily wearable! It’s probably not news to you that sheer lipsticks are a go-to during the summer, either. After all, who wants to wear a full-coverage lipstick during the dead of summer that not only looks heavy but feels that way too?? Certainly not me. Which is why I stick with my trusty sheer lippies–they’ll never steer you wrong. Sooo, I am here to once again bring you another post highlighting some of my new favorite sheer lip formulas that I’ve been enjoying this summer (to see some of my other favorites, click here or here).

#1: Lipstick Queen Endless Summer Collection in Hang Ten, Perfect Wave, and Stoked*

First up in my new discoveries is Lipstick Queen’s Endless Summer collection. This collection features 3 shades: Hang Ten, Perfect Wave, and Stoked. Hang Ten is a sheer, ever-so-slightly warm-leaning nude. I am always scared when I hear the word “nude”–”nude” just does not groove with my complexion and usually winds up with me looking like a corpse. But because this shade is sheer and slightly warm, it actually works on me. And not only does it work, I like it…a lot! The nudest I’ll usually go (on my lips…haha!) is a medium pinky-nude but I am absolutely loving this shade. It goes with everything and doesn’t look like “too much” but instead leaves me looking just a bit more polished and finished when I’m rocking a heavier eye and cheek. Love this! (I also discovered that mixing it with Perfect Wave or better yet, Stoked, slightly tones down the brightness of those 2 shades and makes them a bit easier to wear. Seriously though, Stoked layered over Hang Ten is such a gorgeous combo! I’ve been wearing it everyday!)

–left to right: Hang Ten, Stoked, Perfect Wave–

Perfect Wave is a “bright, sheer, punchy pink” and Stoked is a “sheer, bright coral”. All 3 shades are gorgeous, flattering on a variety of skintones, and have the same soft, beautiful shiny finish. They aren’t exactly what I’d call “sheer” but they are definitely on the sheerer side (Perfect Wave and Stoked, especially) and have a lovely, slightly translucent finish to them. They’re all also very easy to layer and build up with so you can go from a sheer, summery, effortless daytime lip to a bolder, brighter lip for night with just a few swipes.

–top to bottom: Hang Ten, Stoked, Perfect Wave–

All 3 shades wore for a little over 3 hours on my lips, all while keeping my lips moist and soft. These are well worth checking out for everyone–lipstick noobs, seasoned lipstick wearers looking for the perfect summer lip, those with perpetually dry lips looking for a way to keep their pucker moisturized without having to sacrifice color, etc.

Each shade retails for $22 and can be found at LipstickQueen.comBarneys, and Ulta

#2: ILIA Tinted Lip Conditioners in Blossom Lady and These Days*

I’ve been dying to try ILIA for a long time–I’ve heard such amazing things about this brand! So of course when I finally got the chance to, the first thing I zeroed in on was their Tinted Lip Conditioners. The Lip Conditioners “[combine] organic ingredients to soothe and condition the lips. Each shade carries a sheer touch of color that increases in intensity when applied liberally.”

Like the Lipstick Queen lipsticks, these beauties are housed in a sleek, matte metal casing with the simplistic and elegant ILIA logo printed on the side. The 2 shades that I received are Blossom Lady (a muted, soft neutral pink) and These Days (a mid-tone coppery-nude with a soft, golden shimmer).

While I can’t deny that both shades are just beautiful (I am in love with the lovely, muted Blossom Lady!), I do think that the name “Tinted Lip Conditioner” is a bit misleading, as is the claim that “each shade carries a sheer touch of color…”. These, to me, are lipsticks–hydrating and shiny lipsticks. Especially These Days–do you guys see the swatches below?! That shade is seriously opaque,  man! Blossom Lady has just a bit more of a translucent finish but is still quite pigmented compared to what I usually think of a tinted balm.

These Lip Conditioners retain more of a waxy feel than Lipstick Queen’s slightly balmier, shinier lipsticks. But you can’t beat the gorgeous shades (there are 10 shades in all), elegant packaging, and organic formulas from ILIA. These lippies lasted a little under 3 hours on my lips and kept my lips nice and moisturized the whole time.

These beauties can be found at ILIABeauty.com or BeautyHabit.com for $24 a pop.

#3: Jouer Lip Sheers SPF15 in Antigua, Capri, and Maui*

Lastly, we have Jouer’s gorgeous Lip Sheers. As you guys well know by now, Jouer has quickly become one of my absolute favorite brands. Each season, I am always thrilled to see what they come up with–their easygoing but chic approach to beauty and color suits my taste perfectly! Their last new release, the Tinted Lip Enhancers, have become a staple in my beauty routine. I’ve been wearing Bellini almost daily this summer! So when I heard that Jouer was coming out with new shades of their popular Lip Sheer SPF15, I knew I had to get my hands on some.

The new-for-summer shades are: Maui (sheer nude pink), Santorini (sheer rose pink), Ibiza (sheer shimmering apricot), and Antigua (sheer honey peach). These shades join their 4 existing shades: Capri, St. Tropez, St. Barths, and Positano. Today, I’ll be showing you Capri (old), Maui (new), and Antigua (new).

These Lip Sheers are truly sheer. They provide the perfect kiss of color, looking effortless and breezy, which is how everyone wants to look during the summer, right?! These Lip Sheers have a soft vanilla scent to them. They remind me a lot of Bobbi Brown’s Treatment Lip Shines (which, by the way, when the heck were these discontinued?? I just found out while writing this post. Were they replaced by the Sheer Lip Color?? Bobbi Brown has been revamping their whole line so much lately, my head is spinning :/), though I will admit, I do prefer Jouer’s. Not only is the formula slightly more moisturizing, I prefer the sheerer, shinier finish and also like the fact that it’s $1 less but contains more product ($22 for 0.10 oz. compared to Bobbi Brown’s 0.07 for $23).

These Lip Sheers only lasted about 2 1/2 hours on my lips–pretty average for such a sheer, hydrating lip balm (essentially). I still love the shades though–they’re all incredibly lovely and universally flattering! They’re the perfect summer product since you don’t need a mirror to apply, all the shades go with any look, and they nourish and protect your delicate lips from the harsh sun and heat. Love these!

The Lip Sheers can be found at Jouer.com or Nordstrom and retail for $22 each.

And finally, swatches…

What have been some of you guys’ go-to lip products this summer? I’d love to know! :D

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

26 Responses to “More Sheer Lip Candy”

1. Chris August 12, 2013 at 3:50 am #

I’ve always wanted to try Lipstick Queen and those colors are right up my alley, not to mention the names remind me of the beach.

• becca August 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

I know, I am loving everything about the Lipstick Queen ones! Isn’t the packaging so cute? And the names really do scream summer :D

I have been wanting to try something from the brand for a long time too–so glad the lipsticks are every bit as wonderful as I’d hoped they’d be!

2. Sunny August 12, 2013 at 3:52 am #

OOO the ones from Lipstick Queen look amazing! They really aren’t that sheer at all, which is probably why I like them :) I need to check the brand out ASAP!

• becca August 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

I know, they’re definitely more like lipsticks but they do have at touch of sheerness to them (I layered them in the swatches to get them to show the color more) and love the shiny finish! Definitely try them. I really like how their regular line of lipsticks are separated into 2 formulas: Saints and Sinners. Saints is a bit sheerer like these Endless Summer ones are and Sinners is bolder and more opaque–you’d love them :)

3. Liz August 12, 2013 at 9:05 am #

WIFEY!

Stoked is an amazing shade! WANT. I’ve been moving into more opaque lips and stopping to look at every mauve/plum/aubergine shade out there in anticipation of fall. :)

I’ve also been eying Ilia for a while. They look so chic and nourishing at the same time. That neutral shade looks perfect for every day!

• becca August 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Oooh you would love ILIA’s Blossom Lady then–it’s not mauve but the touch of grey to the pink makes it so neutral and wearable! Pretty!

And I did notice that you are starting to play around with more opaque lips. Good for you! :D I am still a scaredy-cat when it comes to opaque lips but I do think I’m starting to experiment a little more with brighter colors so that’s a step up :P

4. Tracy@Beauty Reflections August 12, 2013 at 10:08 am #

I love Ilia!! Those shades are gorgeous! They have cream blushes that I’d LOVE to try haha! I like sheer lips too especially in the summer-so much easier to wear!

• becca August 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

The ILIA cream blush is lovely–I have one to review. You’d really love it, Tracy! and YES–obsessed with sheer lippies!!! :D :D

5. Kristen @ Glambunctious August 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

I see quite a few things I *need*! I’m a big sheer lippie fan myself! Sheer lipsticks FTW! :)

• becca August 13, 2013 at 12:07 am #

Hahaha YES! Sheer lippies ftw, indeed!! :D If you love sheer lip color, you NEED to check these out…particularly the Lipstick Queen and Jouer!! :D

6. Toya August 13, 2013 at 4:39 am #

I would wear every single one of these, Becca! While I don’t tend to buy ‘sheer’ lipsticks – usually opting for gloss or opaque lipsticks instead – I probably should change that up, because these look super-enticing! And truth be told, I’d probably wear them more than anything else, because even though I love bold lipsticks I only wear ‘em every so often. And glosses usually look more shiny than I’d like! So then I end up wearing…balm. LOL. These would be PERFECT for me!

• becca August 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Ooooh if that’s the case then YES, you NEED to check these out, my dear Toya!! They are all super moisturizing like a balm but oh, the sheer pop of color they provide is gorgeous! And in all honesty, most of them aren’t even all that sheer (ILIA especially but Lipstick Queen is a close second and can very easily be built up to full coverage), so it’d be the perfect hybrid product for you! :D

7. Catherine @ bcrueltyfree August 13, 2013 at 6:55 am #

OK, first off, UM HOW GORGEOUS IS THIS POST! Sooo pretty, I love the border and just.. all the photos are so lovely. I agree with you on sheer lip products… I’ve been using a lot of sheer lip balms, like my beloved Burt’s Bees Pomegranate and I also recently started using a Palmer’s Dark Chocolate one that’s a sheer red, gives more color than the Burt’s Bees but still totally wearable, love it

• becca August 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Ah Catherine, you are sweet as ever. Thank you!! :D <3

Love my Burt’s Bees tinted balms still, though I’ve been reaching for the Jouer Lip Sheer or Tinted Lip Enhancers more often. Even more than my beloved Burberry Lip Mists, too!

I haven’t heard of/seen the Palmer’s Dark Chocolate ones but I’m super curious now. Definitely will have to go searching for that one in the drugstores. :) Thanks for the heads-up! Btw, how has your summer been??

8. Lily August 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

I’ve been using lots of Clinique Chubby Sticks and my Dior Lip Pens lately. They’re just so easy to use, and definitely sheer and summery. The Jouer ones look good. And I’m with you re. the Bobbi Brown revamp >.< They didn't have to take away the good ones too, right?

• becca August 16, 2013 at 12:01 am #

I have been using my Gaia Jelly Lip Pin a LOT lately, too! LOVE the color–I REALLY regret not getting Carioca when I could :/

9. JoanneP August 15, 2013 at 6:43 am #

This post is eye candy. Great picks too Becca! I personally like opaque lip colors and use a colorless lipbalm to sheer the colors. But these are really pretty, feminine and easy to use. Lipstick queen, aahh, yummy!

• becca August 16, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Thanks Joanne!

Yeah for the more opaque LQ and ILIA ones (compared to the Jouer, at least), I sheer it out a bit with fingers and then add a clear balm over top to further sheer them out. But then, I like my lip color REALLY sheer…:P

Btw, how has your summer been going? I miss talking to you!

10. Makeup Morsels August 16, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

The Lipstick Queen shades are gawwwjus. And you have to try Ilia’s gloss if you can, hands-down the most comfortable, lightweight formula I’ve ever tried. Love your roundups!

• becca August 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks, MM!!! Sorry for the delayed response btw…I’ve been SUPER busy at work :/ But YES, now I am really curious about the ILIA gloss! Must def give it a try! :D

11. Joyce (bronzerbunny) August 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

i really like those 2 bright lipstick queen ones! wheee. i always wanted to try lipstick queen but never really knew where to start haha

• becca August 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I know me too! Everyone always raves about LQ but because I’m not really a “lipstick” gal, I admired from afar but never tried anything. But then they did the Saint & Sinners line and that caught my eye–LOVE the idea of the same shades but in a bolder, more opaque formula for the lipstick fans and a softer, sheerer formula for those like me :P

12. Hunni September 15, 2013 at 4:26 am #

I’ve never heard of this brand before but I like that candy pink one!

• becca September 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Gorgeous, isn’t it?! Yeah I love that one too. Also love that it’s so darn versatile–it’s very easy to wear sheer or built up to full coverage like an ordinary lipstick (except with a beautiful, luscious shine!!). I highly recommend any and all of these! :D

Thanks for stopping by! <3

13. Garcy November 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

I wear ILIA’s Blossom Lady more than any other color! Its the perfect everyday pink!

• becca November 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Oooh yay–another fan! LOVE Blossom Lady so much. It’s definitely one of my favorite sheer lippies that I own. And I loove ILIA’s packaging too!