The Beauty Snaps #2 (and a quick update about me)

4 Jul

So, I don’t really think I need to state the obvious (that I’ve been totally MIA lately from not only the blog but twitter and all of my favorite beauty blogs, as well). Apologies, guys! But I’m not sure I can promise that it’ll get any better any time soon. I’ve been really busy with work, trying to find another job, and…well, having fun!

I’ve really felt a big change come over me in the last couple of months. I’ve been feeling really renewed and invigorated and alive! I’ve had a lot of changes occur in my life over the course of the last 5 months or so and while I wasn’t always so optimistic in the beginning, I soldiered through it and came out much happier and stronger at the end. So yes, though I am sad that I don’t get to chat and interact with all of you lovelies as often as I’d like, I’m quite content right now to just be out living my life and savoring each moment. :)

But, that being said, I do have a lot of products and things that I want to share with you guys–the problem will just be finding the time to take the pictures. They’ll get done alright, but maybe not as fast as I normally would (which is not even fast at all, so that’s pretty sad :P).

Anyway before I get into some reviews, I thought I’d do a quick Beauty Snaps post for you guys just showing you some things I’ve been enjoying lately! First off is this:

–how handsome does my daddy look, btw? That was taken the day I was born :)–

I have been loving this personalized name necklace* that was sent to me from the lovely Sarah over at Swirl Studio (that is a link to her Etsy shop. This one is a link to the exact design that I chose). It’s beautifully, perfectly crafted and the box chain is very slender and delicate yet sturdy. I do want to remind you guys that I am not obligated to feature any products or items that I genuinely don’t love/enjoy. But honestly, how could I not love this?!

You guys know that I am obsessed with my dog, Lady (aka: the love of my life! :P) and so of course, when Sarah offered to send me a personalized necklace, I HAD to have one made with my sweet Lady’s name on it. My friends tease me about it all the time but I don’t mind–now the whole world will know that there is only one dog for me, and her name is Lady!! :) haha!

I’ve also really been enjoying photographing these gorgeous, vibrant summer blooms. These flowers are called epiphyllum and are part of the cactus family. They usually bloom at night and last anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 days. I am in love with the unique shapes and colors of these epis. Don’t the stigmas (especially the one on the pink blossom) look like little starfish? And just look at that bright fuchsia shade of the white blossom’s pistil! :D

And finally, I do actually have some beauty products in this post :P First off is Senna’s new for Summer 2013 Powder Point 33 Brush*. I love this brush! The soft, natural hairs and perfectly sized and pointed shape really hugs the curves of the cheek beautifully! This brush also diffuses color really nicely, so you don’t have to go back in with a kabuki or any other kind of brush to blend out harsh edges at all; it’s just perfectly applied cheek-color from the get-go!

I’ve never been very big into brushes like other bloggers are. To me, a brush is a brush and at the end of the day, I’d rather spend $12 for a decent brush that will get the job done so I can use that other, say, $40 for a new blush or bronzer. But that’s just me. :) But the first time the Powder Point 33 Brush touched my cheek, I thought “oh my…this could be dangerous.” A good brush really does make all the difference in the world! And you know, obviously if you spend a little more and buy a good brush, you’ll have made an investment and won’t have to repurchase another for a long while. I really like Sonia Kashuk brushes–they’re amazing for the price–but I do notice that now after about 2 1/2 years of use, my powder and blush brushes from the brand are starting to lose their shape and just don’t apply my makeup like they used to. Senna’s brushes are really, really nice (I have several more to show you guys!) and won’t break the bank.

Lastly, I want to talk about the Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel in Sable Rose* in the photo. I just got this a couple of weeks ago. Brand new. How, you might be wondering, since this was indeed a LE item from last summer’s Chanel collection?? Easy–from Izzy’s Beauty Shoppe.

Izzy’s is an online supplier of authentic products from high-end, luxury brands like Dior, Guerlain, Chanel, YSL, and more. They specialize in hard-to-find and/or discontinued items that would otherwise be difficult to obtain in the U.S (think Asia-exclusive collections, limited-edition items, etc.). Izzy’s is really an amazing resource! For example, did you know that they still sell Guerlain’s knockout hit, the Cruel Gardenia highlighter?? No joke! Get your butts over to Izzy’s Beauty Shoppe now if you missed out the first time around!

Here is a link to Sable Rose. At the time of this writing, it appears that there is still 1 or 2 available but hurry because apparently they are selling quickly (especially considering that Izzy’s is holding their semi-annual sale at the moment, so there are lots of gorgeous, high-end, hard-to-find items on sale!). I am so in love with this blusher/bronzer (and you guys know I love me some blusher/bronzer! :P) and have been wearing it every single day. So glad I got a second-chance to try this baby–I wear it so often that it’s hard to imagine I was ever without it, now!

So that’s it! That’s kinda what I’ve been up to in my life and where I’m at. How bout you guys–how are things? What have you been up to this summer? Oh and before I forget…

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! Have fun and be safe out there today :)

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

30 Responses to “The Beauty Snaps #2 (and a quick update about me)”

1. Jacqueline July 4, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Het sweetie, I’m glad your are out there enjoying yourself and being happy. That is what life should be about, being happy. So you go girl! A good brush really makes the world of difference. Have you ever tried Hakuhodo brushes? They are gorgeous.

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Aw thank you, Jacqueline!! :) I hope your summer has been going well so far?? What’s new?

I have not tried Hakuhodo brushes, yet. I think these Senna ones are probably the nicest I’ve tried yet :P I used to think Hakuhodo’s prices were a bit too much to pay for “just” a brush but now, I am beginning to see the light. A new Hakuhodo brush may not be too far off in my future, now :P lol!

2. Meryl @ Memoiselle July 4, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Hello Becca!
    It’s good to hear updates from you :) And thank you for posting a bit on your private life. I can see how much you love Lady!
    And that Senna Brush looks very nice! It reminds me of my Sigma tapered face brush. Aaack I can’t wait to read your full reviews!

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks, Meryl :) It’s always a bit different for me to post about my private life but I guess we’re all friends now so it doesn’t matter :)

I still want to try Sigma brushes so bad–I imagine they will be a bit like these. Senna’s brushes (especially this one) are suuuuper soft and work really well. I didn’t think I’d like the pointed end as much as I do but it’s really perfect! :)

3. Chris July 4, 2013 at 9:11 am #

I totally feel you on finding the time. I have yet to buy a new computer (after I dropped the last one) which makes blogging really hard, despite all of the lovely new products that in enjoying. The Chanel bronzer from last summer is a fave of mine. Anywho, looking forward to new posts and glad to see you’re doing well. :)

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Wow you don’t have a new computer yet, Chris? Didn’t you drop the other one like…6 months ago?!! :P lol! Yeah I know you’ve been really busy too though so you DEF understand me…though I wish my reasoning was because I was traveling the world and volunteering my time :)

• Chris July 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

It is a pretty sweet excuse. ;). And yes, I haven’t purchased the laptop I dropped months ago because my car required my funds instead. :/

Happy 4th!

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Aw happy (belated) 4th to you, too :D Did you have fun? Watch the fireworks??

4. Larie July 4, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Never apologize for enjoying the real world, lol! I think summer lends itself to that a lot. We’ve been enjoying the weather, out and about, and I don’t really have time for things lately, either. At least we all understand!

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Haha that is true! I remember reading your post that said to never feel guilty for enjoying your real life but honestly sometimes, I can’t help it–I soooo do!! :P I especially start to feel really guilty/stressed when the packages start piling up and I am waaay behind on reviews. lol! But it is getting easier and easier to be away from the computer.

I’m glad you’re out and about enjoying life too! What’s been up? Lots of rock climbing/outdoor adventures?? Jealous! :D

5. Tracy@Beauty Reflections July 4, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Glad you are doing well Becca and that life is good now. Good luck with the job search too!
    Thanks for the info about Izzy’s! Gonna check out what’s there!

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Aw thanks Tracy! Yeah I could really use a little luck with the job hunt. I am just working part time right now but the place is so far that I am almost breaking even in just gas expenses :/ I have 2 interviews next week for higher paying, closer jobs so I am really, really hoping one of them takes!!!

And yes, definitely check out Izzy’s. They have some pretty cool stuff there! I am eyeing some of their Guerlain scents next…:)

6. Sunny July 4, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Happy fourth of July, Becca! Glad to hear you’re doing well and that you just soldiered through a challenging period of time.

Your daddy IS super good-looking! I like your Lady necklace too. I am very partial to Tango and there’s nothing I can do about it. If I ever get a necklace like that it’ll probably say Tango ;)

• becca July 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Thank you, Sunny!! :)

LOL yeah this is one of my favorite pics of my dad :) And you SHOULD get a Tango necklace!! That’d be a cute name to wear around your neck ;) haha

7. Kristen @ Glambunctious July 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

So glad to hear you’re happy and loving life! Enjoy yourself! That picture showing your necklace and papa is really pretty – I love shots like that! And your dad is adorable!

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Aw thanks Kristen!! Yeah life is good–it’s about time I started to get myself out there again :P

How has life been treating you? Did you have a good 4th??

8. Taylor July 4, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Happy Fourth! Sounds like some wonderful things are happening for you. Sometimes it gets really bad before it gets better. I’m glad to hear your enjoying your time. I always feel I go through a new transition when summer approuches. The idea is to grab it and go with it! That necklace is beautiful and I LOVE the idea that it is your dogs name!! Also that Chanel blush is such a beauty! Best!

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Thanks hon :) That means a lot to me.

And YES–love my necklace. You should get one for your precious Blu!!! :D

9. Liz July 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’VE DONE BY TELLING ME TO STOP AT IZZY’S?????

Lol, I knew it was around but never actually looked at the merchandise. I’m in so much trouble once I start making some money. And it’ll be alllllll your fault! <3 <3

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:36 am #

LOOOL!! Yeah it’s actually a pretty awesome resource. There are some real gems in there :) And I take full responsibility! haha it’ll be worth it :P

10. Catherine @ bcrueltyfree July 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

So glad you’re feeling great and really enjoying every moment of life. So important. The Lady necklace is too cute haha ;) Your dad’s pic is adorable too

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Aw thanks Catherine! I hope you’ve been doing great as well? What’s new with you??

11. JoanneP July 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Glad to hear you doing OK and happy!!! And yay!! You made it through the difficult time. I would totally have a Peace necklace. That’d be so cool.

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Thank you Joanne!! Yeah was feeling pretty depressed for a while but now, things are great. As Taylor mentioned, sometimes I guess things have to sometimes get bad before they can get better :)

And a Peace necklace would be sooo cute! :D Do it do it!! haha

12. Toya July 5, 2013 at 4:57 am #

I loved this post Becca – you echo my sentiments EXACTLY about where I’m at right now. I still love beauty – good grief, you know we always will! – but I am out having so much fun and enjoying life and just don’t have time right now for much else. I spent a good 6 months coming home from work every day to get on the computer for another 4 hours after spending the day on it, and it was really starting to get to me – so I’m glad to be really LIVING right now! And I’m SO happy you’re doing the same! You will never lose me as a reader or friend, I always want to know what you’re up to, so go enjoy yourself and know that when you have time to come around, I’ll still be here (as will most of us, probably :)!!

• becca July 5, 2013 at 9:42 am #

Toya your message really touched me–so THANK YOU!! :D <3

I know you’ve been going through some changes too, huh? Especially after that AWESOME trip you took! (still jealous, btw :P) But yes, life is definitely for living. For a while, my life was just all about my now ex-bf and spending hours upon hours upon hours on the computer. As you mentioned, I still LOVE beauty (of course) and writing and taking pics and interacting with all my blogger friends but I think I just need to keep doing this for a while and eventually, I know I will find the perfect balance between the two. Until then, PAAAARTY!!! haha jk

I’m so glad you are happy too. I know you went through a rough patch as well but looks like we both made it!! :D

Much <3 to you my dear. Thank your for making me smile today :)

13. svetlana July 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Gorgeous! And I think being happy counts and is MOST important! Congrats on your discovery. It can only be better! *love*

• becca July 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

Thank you so much, my dear Svetlana!! Yes, happiness IS the most important thing. I’m so glad I hung on–it was all so worth it!! :D

Much <3 to you too!! Hope you’re enjoying your summer as well!!!

14. Shannon July 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Hi Becca, Gorgeous photos of that amazing cactus bloom! And I also love the shot of the photo of your dad, your dog and your necklace. Izzy’s is great for hard to find/discontinued Chanel items. Best wishes for a great summer :)

• becca July 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Aw thank you so much, Shannon! That’s a HUGE compliment coming from such a seasoned photographer like yourself :P

I LOVE Izzys–such a great resource! My only regret is that I didn’t discover them sooner!

Hope you’re having a great summer as well! Take care!