The Beauty Picks: Powdered Exfoliators, Cleansers & Masks

17 Jun

For this edition of The Beauty Picks, I decided to highlight some of my favorite powdered exfoliators, cleansers, and masks. I feel like I’ve been talking about these a lot lately but I can’t help it–I really love this type of product! They’re just so much fun to use! Instead of just going on auto-pilot with your regular, everyday cleanser, you can really play with the product and get your hands dirty, so to speak–really experiencing the product in a different way! These products are, for the most part, all quite gentle and suitable for all skin types if used correctly. But some are just a bit more suited to one skin type more than another, so I listed my recommendations for each. I hope you enjoy this edition of The Beauty Picks!

–click image to enlarge–

–click image to enlarge–

Normal, Combination, and Oily and/or Problematic Skin: Osmia Organics Detox Exfoliating Mask*

This is yet another product I have fallen in love with from Osmia Organics. This mask is sooo effective–it really sucks every bit of oil and dirt from my skin. It’s kinda weird to see all this gunk slowly seeping out of your pores (refer to photo below) but also really, really gratifying because you know it’s working! Even though this mask is tough and whips your pores into shape, it doesn’t leave my skin feeling dry or taught afterwards. I believe this is thanks to the manuka honey powder and olive leaf powder–incredible stuff!

Prepare to be wowed…(or really grossed out! :P)

Like many of the products on this list, the Detox Mask is a 2-in-1 type of product. It not only is a purifying mask but it also an exfoliator. To use, simply wet your hands and press it around the dry mask on your face to soften the mask then massage in circular motions and rinse away. The black walnut hull powder provides quite an intense exfoliation–it leaves my skin feeling absolutely baby smooth!

*Remember, use the code “TBSTEN” anytime during the next month to get 10% off your order of $15 or more at OsmiaOrganics.com!! :D

Combination or Oily and/or Problematic Skin: May Lindstrom The Clean Dirt(review to come)

In case you guys hadn’t noticed already, I am currently in the midst of a torrid love affair with all things May Lindstrom. This product in particular has really captured my heart. The Clean Dirt is a very fine powdered cleanser/micro-exfoliator that smells like chocolate spice cookies and has a unique formula that, when activated with water, puffs up into a mousse-like consistency.

The cleansing clay, as it’s called, contains a spectacular blend of edible, organic and incredibly efficacious ingredients like raw cacao, sea salt, cinnamon, clove, and turmeric. These warming spices create a tingling, warming sensation on the skin when applied. For this reason, I don’t recommend this for very sensitive skin types. If you are a regular user of retinoids or acne treatments, I would suggest doing a patch test before use (actually, all skin types should probably patch-test this one just in case).

Combination or Oily and/or Problematic Skin: May Lindstrom The Problem Solver* (review to come)

Another product I am in love with from May’s gorgeous line. I am just finishing up my posts for each product, so those will be up shortly. Until then, I will just say that this mask is just pure potent magic for my oily, acneic skin! It’s such a fun, incredibly therapeutic experience–it really stimulates the skin and the senses!

Like the Osmia Organics Detox Mask, this mask contains raw cacao, bamboo charcoal, and a mix of clays. It also works very similarly by sucking all the gunk out of your pores. The only difference? The Detox Mask is a bit more paired down ingredients-wise (which is great if you have more sensitive skin as The Problem Solver contains warming spices that might be too intense/irritating) and The Problem Solver is much cheaper per ounce. I find that The Problem Solver also creates more of a glowy skin effect. Both are amazing though, so it really just depends on what exactly you are looking for. The Detox Mask can be used more regularly and is a great bi-weekly treatment for acne-prone skin!

Extremely Sensitive Skin and/or Dry Skin: Amore Pacific Treatment Enzyme Peel

This product retains none of it’s original powdered texture when mixed with water–instead, it forms a very silky, smooth lather. I personally did not experience any exfoliating benefits from this one but then my skin is quite hardy and is used to pretty strong actives, so this one just didn’t cut it for me. However, my mom does love it. She has very dry, sensitive skin and really loved that she could use this product regularly to maintain a smooth, bright complexion.

Very Sensitive to Normal Skin: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant*

This product has extremely fine grains that dissolve almost entirely upon contact with water. There’s just the barest hint of texture felt on the skin when applied. For this reason, I do recommend it for very sensitive to normal skin types. All skin types can use this, however, and since it is so fine, it can be used daily (hence the name, I guess :P). This might not be the most exciting product on the list but it definitely has its place in a routine and is great for when your skin just needs something really soft and gentle.

Sensitive to Normal Skin: TATCHA Classic Rice Enzyme Powder*

TATCHA’s version is very much suited to all skin types, though the brand has gone even one step further and offers 3 versions: Classic, Gentle, and Deep. However, as I stated in my original review, the product is just so gentle (yet incredibly effective) that I believe all skin types can use this particular one, even the most sensitive. The grains are very fine and uniform and retain their texture even after mixing with water. It’s kind of like a pumped up version of Dermalogica’s, except it exfoliates better and foams up more (doubling as a light morning cleanser). Love this stuff!

Sensitive Skin or Oily, Acne-Prone Skin: Pure+Simple Organic Vanilla Cleansing Powder*

I love this one and have actually been meaning to write about it for a while–I’ve been using this product for almost a year now and it never fails to impress me! This product is a 3-in-1 cleanser/exfoliator/treatment mask. It contains an amazing blend of french clay and incredible organic ingredients like vanilla powder, colloidal oatmeal (I love using colloidal oatmeal on my face!), buttermilk powder, calendula, and more. You might notice that these are all incredibly soothing ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes this great for even the most sensitive of skin types! But the clay also makes this really ideal for oily, problematic skin as well. I use it all the time when I am experiencing breakouts or just have a massive pimple. It  takes it down right away and leaves my skin clean, clear, smooth, and ultra soothed.

PS: apologies for the inconsistent background color. I tried my best but you know how it goes–some products bring out the violet and others bring out the blue. What can ya do?? (no really, that was not a rhetorical question; it’s driving me crazy! :P haha!)

*these products were provided to The Beauty Sample free of charge for review purposes. Despite this, my opinions are always honest and I only included products in this post that I truly use and love

33 Responses to “The Beauty Picks: Powdered Exfoliators, Cleansers & Masks”

1. Rocaille June 17, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Great post, Becca! I’ve only tried the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant from the ones you’ve mentioned in the post but I really like the sound of the Osmia!

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Thanks Monika!! :D I LOVE the Osmia one so much–I actually just used it today. I’ve had a little blemish brewing under my skin for a day or so and put the mask on. 20 minutes later when I washed it off, the pimple had come to a head. I was seriously blow away–I had to tell my sister immediately, I was so impressed! :P

2. Sunny June 17, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

OOO that Osmia and May Lindstrom look good! I never really exfoliate anymore nowadays, but I might be able to deal with something as fine as a powder!

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Hi Sunny! Do you not exfoliate at all or you are just into chemical exfoliants (I think I recall you mentioning that, anyway)? These powdered ones are SO great–they’re so effective (especially ones like the Osmia Organics one. The TATCHA and Pure+Simple are a bit more fine and better for more regular use) and I LOVE that most of them have at least 2 uses: gentle cleanser and exfoliator. :D

3. Tracy@Beauty Reflections June 18, 2013 at 12:12 am #

I love powdery exfoliators! I find them easier on skin than grainy ones.I have one by an organic brand that works really well and love it! Nice round-up Becca!

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Thanks Tracy! Which one are you using? I’m always curious to try more. Haha can you tell I’m obsessed?? :P They’re just so great and so fun to use! :D

4. Toya June 18, 2013 at 5:31 am #

I’ve been dying to try some May Lindstrom after reading Jessica’s (Getting Cheeky) and your rave reviews – however, I think in reading this (EXCELLENT!) post, I might go for the Pure + Simple, as my skin is on the sensitive side. It’s been well-behaved lately, but I want to keep it that way! $60+ is an expensive mistake to make :)

Love all these skincare posts Becca, you’re such a wealth of knowledge since you have tried so many things!!! :D :D

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Aw thanks, Toya! I’ve been having a lot of fun with these posts–at least my ginormous stash of skincare will be of SOME use! :P haha

Yeah May Lindstroms The Clean Dirt and The Problem Solver are a bit on the intensive side so definitely if your skin leans sensitive, the Pure+Simple is the way to go. That brand is AMAZING Toya–seriously. Everything I’ve tried from them is so friggin awesome. They have really simple, clean ingredients but their products are amazingly effective! :D

5. Icaria June 18, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Thank you Becca for this nice round up. I’ll be having a closer look at them. Estée Lauder used to have such a product that was so amazing, I might be able to find a replacement among these. Pure+ Simple seems quite similar.

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Aw of course, glad it was helpful :D

I don’t remember EL having a similar product but now I’m curious. Must definitely Google that :P The Pure+Simple line is AMAZING! Everything they make is very clean and simple and is amazingly effective! Their serums are so light but SUPER hydrating and their masks are very intense but gentle, somehow :)

6. svetlana June 18, 2013 at 7:47 am #

I’ve only recently tried the pure and simple one, my skin felt very smooth afterwards! But great review, thank you for sharing for all the skin types becca! :)

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Oooh how exciting–I LOVE Pure+Simple so much so I’m glad you enjoyed it! :D

7. Catherine @ bcrueltyfree June 18, 2013 at 8:16 am #

I really could use a physical exfoliator and I’ve been curious about TATCHA since seeing them on your blog. I use AHA/BHA which work amazing for me in terms of deep exfoliation, but sometimes I think using a physical exfoliant to remove the most superficial layer of skin allows them to work better/get deeper into skin

• becca June 18, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Oh I conpletely agree, Catherine. I like to have both in my routine because I feel that chemical exfoliators kind of eats away/loosens the dead skin cells but they are still just chillin on the surface of your skin so a physical exfoliator really helps buff that away!

The TATCHA is really, really great for everyone so definitely if you just want a gentle exfoliator to use in conjunction with your AHA/BHAs, that is the way to go! :D

8. Lily June 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Awesome post, Becca! I’ve tried Tatcha and Dermalogica but that one from Osmia looks good :-)

• becca June 19, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Oh it is AMAZING–especially for oily, acne-prone skin! The scrubbly bits are really, really effective, too! Love this one! :D

9. Makeup Morsels June 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

My gosh, I could read your skincare posts for hours! Lovely roundup and I’m really enjoying the series. The Osmia mask looks like a must-have!

• becca June 19, 2013 at 12:21 am #

Yaaay so glad you like it, MM! :D I HAD to find someway to showcase all the skincare I have lying around :P haha

The Osmia mask IS a must-have–especially for oily, problematic skin! And you know what else is a must have…their Honey-Myyrh Lip Repair!! :D haha I know I keep raving about it but I have been loving it SO much!

10. Liz June 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

I have one more sample sachet of one of the TATCHAs. Guess I should give it another try! I’m not huge on masks because just daily care takes so much energy, lol, that anything extra tends to be forgotten. My skin’s undergoing some changes right now so I’m clueless as to what mask or treatment I should be using.

• becca June 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Whaaat?? You don’t use masks, wifey?? NO WIFE OF MINE WILL NEGLECT A GOOD TREATMENT MASK–NOT ON MY WATCH!!! :P hahahaa! But really though, a good mask will really do wonders for your skin! What I like about these (except the TATCHA and Dermalogica) is that they are 2-in-1 or even 3-in-1. Like the May Lindstrom The Problem Solver or Pure+Simple Organic Vanilla Cleansing Powder, you can either use as a mask first then exfoliate as you wash off or use as a cleanser first then leave it on ask a mask. Easy peasy! :D You live in Canada too so I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage and trying out Pure+Simple–the brand is awesome! :D

• Liz June 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Well, I have one :p It’s a L’Occitane Rice Mask that’s like a clay mask – I try not to have more than one because I rarely reach for them.

I have so many places to hit once I get a paying job, lol. P+S is on the list!

• becca June 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Haha I know how that goes–broke as a joke right now :/ haha

And as for the mask situation, I suppose you don’t really need anymore anyway. What’s mine is yours, wifey ;) hahaha

11. JoanneP June 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Awesome roundup post!! I love how you categorize them based on skin type and share your personal experience too. Tatcha and dermalogica sound relevant for me, will check them out!

• becca June 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Aw thank you, Joanne! Glad at least one person finds it to be helpful :P

12. Gummy June 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Yay!! I love posts like these that compare products!! You have a mighty impressive stash of exfoliants, my dear!! I’ve only used the Tatcha and Amore Pacific…loved the Tatcha but like you I didn’t find the Amore Pacific one that effective – glad your mom does though! I read somewhere that in Korea the Amore Pacific is marketed as a cleanser instead of an exfoliator, so that may explain why it’s so gentle. I’m super curious about the Pure+Simple and the May Lindstrom products…haven’t heard of any of them before so I was excited to read what you think :-)

• becca June 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Haha thanks, Gummy! I know, my stash is a little bit out of control :P

Yeah definitely think of the Amore Pacific one as a cleanser with very subtle exfoliating properties. That’s why I think it’s a nice cleanser to maintain a smooth complexion, rather than to really smooth it, if that makes sense :)

As for Pure+Simple, it’s an AWESOME brand that really doesn’t get the attention it deserves! I should be holding another giveaway shortly so stay tuned ;)

13. Taylor June 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

I love powdered masks! I have to say the image of you using the Osmia product is amazing!! I recently received a small sample and I’m loving it. That and the May Lindstrom clean dirt really clean up and don’t leave my dry skin dry in any sense! I would love to try all of this. Awesome post!

• becca June 20, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Haha kinda scary but AWESOME, huh?! :P haha!

Glad you liked the sample you got, Taylor! And the Clean Dirt–YES! Love them both!! I can use the Osmia Organics one more often but The Clean Dirt and The Problem Solver are really invigorating and make your cheeks look flushed and glowy :D :D

14. Larie June 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Very, very tempted by the Osmia products! Giving it a looksee right now.

• becca June 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

YAY YAY YAY YAY–DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! :P hahahaha

15. Jenni@lifeandlensofbeauty June 25, 2013 at 2:14 am #

my god! your post just answered my call! I was looking for physical exfoliant powder/grains on the market but there aren’t much where I live. I only found Bobbi brown buffing grains (which the grains won’t dissolve and I like it better than those that dissolve with water), alpha h has a physical exfoliant powder too I think. Aesop has one but that’s all I can buy locally. Tatcha as well, but Tatcha seems to dissolve with water? idk

it’s great to know there are so many other alternatives / brands making the same thing! now my question is how to get my on these :P :P

you can’t imagine how excited I am when seeing your post title! I was wondering a week ago and now your post came up! :DDD

• becca June 25, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Haha yaaaay–perfect timeing!! :D I love when I’m searching for something and then someone miraculously posts something about it a day later :P

The TATCHA one actually retains it’s texture pretty well but they’re still VERY fine. Of all these, I think Pure+Simple or May LIndstroms The Clean Dirt would be your best best. Osmia Organics has the most intense exfolation grain-wise but it is a mask but as you rinse it off, that’s when the real exfolation begins!! :D

I haven’t heard of the Alpha H or Aesop one but now I am SUPER intrigued! I LOVE my powdered exfoliants!! (obviously…:P lol)

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Skincare and Sunscreen and Polish, Oh My! | Beauty Obsessed - June 24, 2013

[...] an exfoliator of some sort (the Pure + Simple Organic Vanilla Cleansing Powder Becca mentioned here is right up my alley), and a cleansing oil (maybe Tatcha’s??) when my Clinique Take the Day [...]