The Beauty Picks: Sheer Lip Color Edition

7 May

As I’m sure many of you are well aware, I am and always have been more attracted to a very sheer, subtle lip. Tinted balms and sheer, balmy lipsticks are my go-to’s when I want to look a bit more polished and put-together. It seems that sheer lip color is also becoming more and more popular, especially now that spring is here and summer is right around the corner! So, I’ve decided that I should put together a post highlighting some of my favorites as of late for you! I think every single product would be great for a light, no-fuss pop of color during the warmer months. So here it is: a lipstick-phobe’s guide to lip color! :D

–Field Rose on left, Copper (adorable mini-size) on right–

1. Burberry Lip Mist

You must have heard me mention this product at least once before, whether it be in a post, on twitter, commenting on someone else’s blog, etc. I absolutely adore this formula! It’s so balmy and nice, every single shade in the line is fabulous, and it stays put for a decent amount of time for such a balmy formula. I fully intend on collecting the entire shade lineup one day so watch out for that! :P

–Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy–

2. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine

I don’t love the Rouge Coco Shine formula as much as I do the Lip Mist but it’s still a very nice option. Plus, Boy is such a beautiful, easy-to-wear color that I still happily put up with the much shorter (compared to the Lip Mist) wear time.

–left to right: Sugar Rosé, Sugar Plum, Sugar Honey–

3. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatments SPF15

*the above link takes you to my review for Sugar Coral, which also has swatches of Sugar Rosé and Sugar Honey. This link will take you to my review of Sugar Plum

Love these–absolutely love them. They are supremely moisturizing, have just the perfect amount of pigment and shine, and all the shades are beautiful and immensely flattering. I am almost out of my favorite–the Sugar Honey shade (the tube on its side above. The writing has worn off the tube)–so I definitely need to repurchase. For me, this is the ultimate “nude” lip. Anything lighter and the result is usually me being mistaken for a cadaver. But Sugar Honey is a light-medium neutral-pink and suits my skin tone beautifully. I will never be without this shade again!

Sugar Plum looks like it’d be more suited for fall or winter but honestly, it’s so sheer that it works year-round. Sugar Coral (not pictured) is a beautiful, vibrant shade–much more pigmented than the others. It will be beautiful come summertime! And Sugar Rosé is just a lovely, soft, feminine wash of pink. It’s really nice anytime but I am especially loving it now for spring.

–new Revlon Lip Butter shades for Spring 2013. Clockwise from top left: Juicy Papaya, Pink Lemonade, Wild Watermelon, Sorbet (at very bottom)–

5. Revlon Lip Butters

I don’t own too many of these but I definitely plan to continue expanding my collection and trying some of the other shades that I’ve heard so many good things about. I do have all the newly released Spring shades though and I absolutely love them–Juicy Papaya has been my go-to as of late. It’s not as moisturizing and balmy as Peach Parfait (one of the original shades and the only other shade I had tried previous to these new releases) but it’s still really nice. The pop of color these add is perfect–not too dark,  not too light. I never have to worry about applying these without a mirror!

–left to right: Hibiscus, Pink Blossom, Tiger Lily–

4. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm

They’re cheap, they’re easy to apply, they’re easily accessible, and they keep my super-dry lips soft and moisturized while adding a pretty tint. They remind me of Laura Mercier’s Hydratints, which I used to use before discovering these. These are pretty much exactly the same, even down to the very similar packaging, at just a fraction of the price. You can’t beat that!

–there are 2 Tinted Lip Enhancers and 2 Pearl Lip Enhancers pictured. While I do love all of them, the Pearl version is more just a shimmery gloss. I’m talking about the 2 tinted ones in this post, which are Bellini (coral shade) and Shiraz (deep wine shade)–

6. Jouer Tinted Lip Enhancers

New for spring 2013, these tinted balm/gloss hybrids are a real treat for the lips. Super moisturizing, just a hint of color, glossy shine…the only thing these don’t have is SPF. But I can live with that because they’re just so darn pretty! I carry Bellini with me in my purse at all times now. It goes with everything so it’s a good one to have for touch-up emergencies–especially when I need to treat dry or flaky lips but I still want a pretty pop of glossy color.

–Sunset Angora on left, Sheer Linen on right–

7. L’Oréal Colour Riche Colour Caresse Lipsticks

I reviewed these a while ago and my thoughts on them have not changed–I think this is a really great drugstore lipstick! They’re balmy, smooth, shiny, moisturizing, and come in 16 beautiful shades! Plus you gotta love that drugstore price! Sheer Linen and Sunset Angora are my favorite shades. Especially Sunset Angora–it’s so pretty and warms my face right up!

Swatches of the Revlon Lip Butters and Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balms (click on the links above to see swatches for the other products):

–click image to enlarge–

–click image to enlarge–

So that’s it! How about you? Do you depend more on opaque, full-coverage lipsticks or sheer lip products? What’s your favorite sheer lip product?

50 Responses to “The Beauty Picks: Sheer Lip Color Edition”

1. Sunny May 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Hey Becca, while I do own and appreciate some sheered lip products, my heart stays with more opaque ones! My lips are pretty pigmented to begin with, so anything short on pigment basically doesn’t show up! Even when it’s a subtle color, I prefer a decent amount of pigment and some lasting power. Part of this is just because I’m lazy. I don’t want to reapply too often!

• becca May 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

LOL that makes sense. I think that my lips are so dry, I am used to reapplying lip balm ALL day anyway so balmy lipsticks are no problem for me. I WISH that I had pigmented lips but I don’t so sheer lippies are perfect for me :P

2. Kelly May 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

I love sheer lipsticks too. I know a lot of lipstick lovers love their pigmented stuff but I find sheer lipsticks to be so much easier to handle. I don’t have much but Burberry lip mists are definitely my favorite! Copper is to die for

• becca May 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Oh I LOVE Copper–it’s such a great everyday shade! And so much more interesting than your average nude lippie! :) I only have the little baby size but it’s lasted me quite a long time actually! Definitely plan on getting the full-size when i’m done…along with all the other shades :D

3. Procrastinator May 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I haven’t tried any of the Burberry, Jouer or L’Oreal picks on this list, but I 100% agree with everything else on here! I love the colour payoff of the Burt’s Bees and I think Rouge Coco Shine in Boy will be the most quickly finished lip product I’ve ever owned!

• becca May 7, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

I love the Burt’s Bees too–such a great, affordable option! And yes, Boy is amazing. It just flatters EVERYONE and goes with EVERYTHING! The formula of the Lip Mists are MUCH much nicer though, so you have to check those out next, for sure! :)

4. Gummy May 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Aaaahhh…you and Belly with your sheer lippies posts…makes me want to do one too!! LOl!! You’ve got an beautiful lineup here :-) Of course you know how I love the Lip Mists!!! My friend has the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy and loves it. I need to go back and reread your review on the Jouer Lip Enhancers!!!

• becca May 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

LOL I know! When I saw her post I was like YAAAAY–I’m writing one too!!! :P I just love sheer lippies. I don’t have nearly as many as I’d like though. There are just SO many formulas I want to try–Dior Addict, Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani Sheer, Chantecaille Lip Chic, Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Color, Suqqu Creamy Glow Lipstick Moist…ahhhk–too many!!! :P I also still need to get on the ball with collecting all the Lip Mist shades! Hahahaa! :P

5. Tiffany May 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Great post, Becca! I’m dying to add a Burberry lipstick to my collection. The only question that remains now is, which one?? ;)

• becca May 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Aw thanks Tiffany! Yes you NEED a Burberry Lip Mist. If you love really balmy lipsticks then this one will be a godsend. It’s so lush and beautiful–moisturizing and balmy but still quite pigmented. It’s my all-time favorite lipstick :)

6. Teri May 7, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Oh, I love your picks! I really want to try a lip mist now, everyone raves about them! I have been loving the YSL Rouge Volupté Shine ones, they are sheer too and so gorgeous!

• becca May 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

YES Teri–get your hands on one (or some) ASAP–I think you would love the formula! I definitely want to try the YSL ones too–I keep forgetting about those. There are SO many sheer lipsticks I am meaning to try!

7. svetlana May 7, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR my faves (my sister would let me borrow her rose one- awesome!!!) The burberry mini one may be my next venture. :) perfect timing with spring and summer warm temps rolling in.

• becca May 8, 2013 at 12:13 am #

Haha yaaay–I love that one! So sweet and subtle and pretty :) Sugar Honey is by far my favorite though. Have you tried it? It’s an AMAZING everyday, neutral shade :D

8. Chris May 8, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Great post! This is your specialty ;)

• becca May 8, 2013 at 12:14 am #

LOL yes it is, isn’t it?! :P I keep trying to play with lipstick and work my way up but I think I’ve realized that it’s probably never going to happen–I’m just a sheer lippie kinda gal through and through :P

I’ve missed you though! Are you still traveling right now, Chris??

9. Paris B May 8, 2013 at 1:13 am #

I like them both sheer and opaque and for sheer, I’d go with Dior Addict (the lighter shades are more sheer), Revlon Lip Butters, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine, and anything from Japan. Now, the Japanese, they know how to make them beautifully sheer yet glossy with just the right hint of colour. *empties wallet* :D You got me wanting to try the Burberry Lip Mist. Maybe I will!

• becca May 8, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Oooh yes–Dior Addicts are definitely on my list, along with GA’s Rouge d’Armani Sheers and YSL Rouge Volupte Shines. Oh and definitely Suqqu’s Creamy Glow Lip Moist. I haven’t tried many Japanese brands so I didn’t know they did sheer lippies that well. Maybe Suqqu will be my next purchase, now that I think about it :D

10. Kiss & Make-up May 8, 2013 at 1:51 am #

Great picks! I have a few Revlon lip butters and I really like them. I’d love to try the Burts Bees lipsticks, they look so nice.

• becca May 8, 2013 at 4:34 am #

I love the Revlon Lip Butters, though I do wish they all had more of the same consistency as Peach Parfait, which I find is softer and creamier, less waxy. Still love them though! The Burt’s Bees balms are really great–no muss or fuss just pretty tint and moisturizing chapstick base :)

11. Bellyhead May 8, 2013 at 7:04 am #

I LOVE THIS POST SO HARD! This pictures look like candy. WAH! I really want a mini GWP Copper Lip Mist for meself! D:
    Maybe when it gets cooler, I think I want to get some more Fresh lip treatments. I adore those things, but then seem to want to melt into blobs in the warmer weather.

• becca May 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

LOL I know, they are very soft and melty. I’ve never had a problem with it unless I’ve actually left them in the car during the summer though (learned the hard way last year with my beloved Sugar Honey :/)–otherwise, they melt a bit more product onto the lips but they are fine. Which shades are your favorite, Belly?? And isn’t the mini Copper Lip Mist SOOOO cute?!! I wish they actually sold them in that size!!

12. Jacqueline May 8, 2013 at 7:10 am #

I love your picks, I absolutely adore Burberry Lip Mists.

• becca May 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Thanks Jacqueline! I LOVE the Lip Mists too–they are hands down my favorite lipstick formula. I haven’t tried as many brands’ sheer lippies as I’d like though. Have you tried the Suqqu Creamy Glow Lip Moist? If so, which do you like better: Suqqu’s or Burberrys??

13. Toya May 8, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Wild Watermelon looks like the perfect juicy coral red – which I’ve decided I need – is that accurate? I am super-snobby when it comes to packaging but somehow the lip butters get a pass from me as they’re so cute :) I do find them sometimes waxy though, you’re right Becca. I generally opt for bold brights but every now and again a sheer lip color will tickle my fancy, and as I used to be more of a sheer gal I still have a handful kickin’ around that I wear here and there. I think the issue for me is I either ‘do’ lips, cheeks, or eyes bold so sometimes sheer lippies that aren’t nude-ish don’t fit in my aesthetic – but I should make some room for them come summer!

• becca May 8, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Oh I think you would love Wild Watermelon. It’s definitely the most pigmented of the 4–which is why I don’t wear it that much :P But you would love it!

I am super snobby too, I admit. I always hear people giving good reviews for Wet n Wild palettes or products in general but I admit I still haven’t tried them because the packaging! :P haha!

Yeah I was surprised that the Lip Butters were so waxy–I guess the texture of Peach Parfait was just a one-off?? Still, it’s a nice formula though, just not nearly as nice as Peach Parfait.

14. Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) May 8, 2013 at 9:20 am #

AHHH what a beautiful post, Becca! I’m 100% a fanatic for sheer moisturizing lip color. Those Jouer just seem so luxuriously delicious. I really like the burt’s bees finish and feel but some of the scents aren’t my favorite. I can’t remember which one it was, maybe Tiger Lily, but it had that really artificial-fruit scent. But the rest were either tolerable or good haha. Actually probably my favorite lip balm ever is from Burt’s Bees, the pomegranate one. I got those fresh sugar balms from sephora when they were the birthday gift and was very impressed with those too

• becca May 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Hey Catherine! Maybe you’re remembering a different tinted balm?? The Burt’s Bees ones aren’t scented…well, they have a very, VERY subtle, slightly sweet smell but it’s pleasant and almost unnoticeable. At least the shades I have are that way. Or maybe they’ve reformulated?? I think you’d really like them, now! :D

The Fresh ones are sooo nice huh! I know a lot of people complain about the price but honestly, they are the nicest TINTED balm WITH SPF that I’ve tried so for me, the price is well worth it :)

15. Amber May 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

I am a sheer lip gal too! I need something I can grab out of my purse and apply without a mirror! I have been loving on NYX butter gloss lately. Have you tried them? I also have one Maybelline color whisper, and love that too. I haven’t tried the Burberry yet, but would love to!

• becca May 8, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Yay! I LOVE sheer lip color so much–it’s just so foolproof! And I think I eat, talk, touch my lips, etc. WAY too much to be messing with an opaque lipstick all the time. Eek! :P

I have not tried the NYX Butter Gloss. I actually haven’t tried too much from NYX, unfortunately. Not sure why, seeing as how I hear so many good things. I wish it were still available in drugstores :/ Also haven’t tried the Maybelline Color Whispers but I plan to! :D

• Amber May 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

I stumbled on the NYX butter gloss at ULTA. I’m weird about ordering lip colors online, I always like to see in person!

• becca May 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Haha I’m going to admit, I am SO lazy. There is an Ulta about 20 mins or so from my house but I NEVER go because I am too lazy to drive that far :P hahaha!

I am really weird about ordering online too–I only reorder things online, but it takes a LOT for me to order something sight-unseen. The only time I think I’ve done that was during the Sephora sales, but they have such a good return policy that I don’t mind :) Anywhere where I’d actually have to send back the product though and I’d NEVER do it! :P

16. Tracy@Beauty Reflections May 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

You’ve reminded me to pull out my Burberry Copper! :) I need to give some love to that lippie!
    I love sheers, because my lips are SO DRY that most lipsticks disappear really fast on me. So I carry sheers in my purse because I can touch up without a mirror.

• becca May 9, 2013 at 12:52 am #

OMG yes give that thing some lovin’ because it DEFINITELY deserves it! :P haha! Copper has been my go-to shade lately–it’s such an easy to wear everyday shade but SO much more interesting than your average nude! :D

17. Liz May 9, 2013 at 11:58 am #

It took me a long time to get into opaque lip territory, but a part of my heart still belongs to sheer, moisturizing lippies. :) Lovely line up, wifey! I like the Burt’s Bees tinted balm in Red Dhalia, which isn’t as dark as you might think, so you might as well add that to your collection. ;) I’ve been meaning to pick up the red shade of the Laura Mercier HydraTint, as the Revlon Lip Butters keep failing on me and twisting in the tubes. Dying to try some Burberry in the future!

• becca May 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Oooh I haven’t actually seen Red Dhalia but the name is pretty and I trust you. I shall purchase this weekend!! :P

The Hydratint is ok but not worth it to me–not after discovering the Burt’s Bees ones. In fact, I like those more and gave my remaining Hydratints to my mom :P I wonder why your Lip Butters keep twisting into the sides like that? I haven’t experienced anything like that but then, I guess I haven’t gotten even down to a quarter of a way with any of the ones I own. I’ll update you on that :P

18. Krystle Kouture (Baking Beauty) May 10, 2013 at 7:30 am #

I prefer sheerer lip colors because I usually wear heavy eye makeup.

My favorite sheer lip products are Essence glosses, laura mercier lip crayons and clinique chubby sticks

• becca May 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

I REALLY have to try the Clinique Chubby Sticks, already. Everyone talks about how great they are yet I still keep trying everything else BUT them in an attempt to get a similar result! *sigh* I have a serious problem. :P haha!

I haven’t tried anything from Essence–it’s a Canadian drugstore brand, right? I really want to though because Liz from Beauty Reductionista is always raving about their beautiful blushes–I’m so curious now!

Oh and you’ve tried the new LM lip crayons? How are they–better than the Clinique ones???

19. Larie May 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I started out with more opaque products, but I’m starting to love sheer washes of color :) I don’t know if I have a favorite, though! I do like the Tarte pencils a bit – surprisingly, I hated them at first, but they’ve grown on me!

• becca May 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

What did you hate about them at first? I’ve always been curious about them but still haven’t tried them, for some reason. I’m so weird–I’ve been wanting the Tarte and Clinique ones for a LONG time but I keep buying all the lip pencils EXCEPT for them and still haven’t been fully happy :P Definitely need to give them both a try soon!

20. Angela @ The Unprofessional Beauty Blog May 11, 2013 at 12:13 am #

I definitely do love my sheer lip products because they are always so easy to wear. But lately, I’ve been reaching for more opaqued and brighter shades. I do love those Revlon Lip Butters.

• becca May 11, 2013 at 2:20 am #

Agreed–the Lip Butters are great! Revlon did such a good job with them :D

What are some of you other favorite sheer lip products, Angela?

21. Jenni @ lifeandlensofbeauty May 11, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I love this lippie guide! Boy is a very flattering subtle shade which is suitable for all ages of women i think :)

• becca May 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

I definitely agree–Boy is just one of those shades. EVERYONE seems to love it! Have you tried it, Jenni? It’s definitely one of my faves :)

22. Lily May 11, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Does the Burberry Lip Mist have that scent that I’m afraid of? I love the Chanel and Burt’s Bees. Revlon Lip Butters don’t work that well on me, and I got my eyes on Jouer! They look lovely :-)

• becca May 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

Yes, I’m afraid is probably does. Have you tried any of Burberry’s lip products? They all have the same scent, I believe. I actually didn’t like it that much at first–I thought it was nice but about a million times too strong. Over time though, it grew on me and now I seriously LOVE the smell–can’t get enough! :P haha

23. Kristen @ Glambunctious May 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Great picks! I, too, am a HUGE fan of sheer lip colors! I’ve never tried the Jouer. Hmm… :)

• becca May 14, 2013 at 12:06 am #

I love Jouer–it’s really a great brand with an underlying simplicity and chicness to it! I’ve loved all their products! :D

24. BooBooNinja May 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

I’m a lip balm girl through and through, but I do love the look of tinted balms. The Fresh ones are surprisingly pigmented. So glad Sephora had them as a birthday treat last year, otherwise I wouldn’t have tried them!

• becca May 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I know I’ve heard so many people say that the Fresh ones were too pricey for them to consider but once Sephora started giving those adorable duos out for birthdays, people fell in love. Very smart move on Sephora’s part! :P