11 Questions Tag

8 Mar

I was tagged by the stunning Joanne P. of The Convenient Beauty to do the 11 Questions Tag! Here are my questions:

1. What is the first beauty product you bought?

I dabbled with drugstore makeup for a few years, but I remember they were all given to me by friends–I was probably 12 or 13 and my mom didn’t let me wear makeup because she thought I was too young. So I had a bunch of makeup from friends but none that were really my own or that I had chosen for myself. When I was a little older, my mom finally let me wear just a little bit. I remember we were at the mall one day and we passed by a kiosk called True Colors that sold these stacks of pigments. I was surprised when we stopped and she told me to find something I liked–I went with these. I loved these pigments so much and wore them every day! Later on, I got another stack of pigments as well as a few empty jars so I started mixing my own shades and playing with making my own polishes, glosses, etc. It was so much fun and really was my first experience with falling in love with makeup!

Oh and yes, the picture shown above is of the actual stacks of True Colors pigments my mom bought for me all those years ago. I don’t still use them, of course, but I can’t bring myself to throw them away. There are a lot of fond memories attached to those guys–despite them looking like holy hell.

2. Name your favorite shade of blush.

Definitely peachy-pink or coraly-pink. They are immensely flattering on my skin tone (and just about everyone else’s, too!) and always perk up my face. A few of my favorites are (clockwise from top left): Chanel Joues Contraste Blush in Fleur de Lotus, Edward Bess Quad Royale in Monte Carlo, Gorgeous Cosmetics Colour Pro Blush in Peach Glow, Paul & Joe Cheek Color duo in Cinema, and Jouer Mineral Blush in Peach Bouquet.

3. If you could only own one eyeshadow palette (no more than 5 shades), what would it be?

Another impossible question to answer…recently, I’ve been using LORAC’s PRO Palette a lot, but since it contains more than 5 shades, I’ll go with either Kevyn Aucoin’s The Essential Eye Set #1 (a great, neutral palette with an amazing texture) or Becca’s Ultimate Eye Color Quad in Astro Violet.

4. What is your favorite look for formal events?

It’s not too different from my everyday look except I go a little heavier on the eye. I’ll usually just do a simple wash of color, darken the crease and outer-V with a darker shade, and then use that same shade on the outer third of my lower lashline. I apply some smudgy black liner, lots of mascara, a medium coverage foundation with a touch of concealer under my eyes only, a dusting of blush to coordinate and some highlighter finishes the look off. Oh, lips! I just use a MLBB shade–a tinted balm or sheer, balmy lipstick always! I love buying makeup and talking about makeup and playing with makeup but when it comes to actually creating looks, I’m not so good. I do want to get better at that though

5. Do you coordinate your makeup with your outfits and how?

Not really. My style of dressing is really casual and most of my makeup is fairly neutral anway, so I just wear what I want and do my makeup however I want and it usually ends up okay :)

6. What did you wear to your first date?

I honestly can’t remember what I first wore on my first date with my boyfriend. I DO remember that one of the first times we hung out, I wore a skirt, top, and dangly earrings to try and look cute for him. That’s huge because I NEVER wear skirts and don’t think I have ever done so since (except for at my sister’s wedding, but that’s different). haha

7. Where would you go for the ultimate fun?

Somewhere bright and sunny and cool and refreshing like the beach or the lake or a big, green, grassy park where I could take my dog, Lady and have a picnic or something and relax, eat, read…*sigh* that sounds so good right now!! Meanwhile, the weather outside is cloudy and dreary. :P

8. What is your go-to way of applying foundation, brushes, sponges or clean fingers?

It used to be sponges (I liked the dampened egg-shaped ones for a long time) but now, I use my fingers always. I actually used to be grossed out by the idea of using fingers, I think because I grew up with acne and was always conditioned to think that fingers on face=a very big no-no! After I finally got over it (though I always use clean fingers, of course), I was amazed at how beautifully my base went on with fingers. It’s really quite lovely and melts the product into your skin perfectly! If I do use a brush though, I usually use Shiseido’s Perfect Foundation Brush. Sometimes I even apply with my fingers and then do a quick buff around with the Shiseido brush to finish.

9. Who inspired your love of beauty?

Honestly, I don’t think anyone really did. My mom was never really into makeup that much and neither was my sister. I kind of just started playing with it on my own and by the time I hit high school, I was full-on obsessed! Strangely, that obsession kind of died down for a few years in my early 20′s but then a few years ago, it came back full force!

10. What is your beauty style?

I would probably define my beauty style as natural and pretty. For me, the “my ________ but better” look is what I strive for. I don’t like looking too made up most of the time. I enjoy playing with makeup but it needs to suit my style and my life–which is quite casual. I go to school, I hang out with my boyfriend, I work on my blog…my life doesn’t involve a lot of going out or parties or events anymore, so my makeup is always quite casual.

Day to day, I like to go for a wash of a pretty neutral shadow all over the lid, maybe a dash of highlight on the inner corner, lots of smudgy black (or brown) liner, lots of lashes (I have recently been playing with individual falsies and accent lashes but my main concern is for them to look natural. If they are too long or obviously fake, that won’t do), a natural complexion (semi-matte, light coverage foundation, a touch of powder on my t-zone, no concealer), blush (the shade varies–I really like how very warm peachy or coraly-pinks look on me though), and a “my lips but better” lip shade–usually just balm or tinted balm but sometimes a sheer lipstick. I also do fill in my brows a bit but always try to do it as softly/natural-looking as possible.

11. If you could only play up one feature of your face from day to night, what would you choose?

Eyes definitely. I usually don’t play up my lips anways, so that’s not a big deal to me. My skin is okay–a lot better than it used to be, at least, so I don’t mind going sans base or cheek color. My brows are a bit crooked and sparse in some places but are full enough that going without brow pencil wouldn’t be the biggest deal in the world, I suppose (though they definitely wouldn’t look pretty). My eyes, however, are quite small–my lashes are very short and sparse. If I don’t play up my eyes, my face looks quite young and bland. I don’t always feel like doing a full face of makeup but I always make sure to do a little tightlining, curl my lashes, and apply mascara every. single. day. It really helps me to look more bright and fresh!

Before I continue, let me just say that those were probably some of the ugliest pictures I’ve ever posted on my blog. I hate photographing used makeup–there’s just no way to make it look pretty :P Anyhoo, I’m supposed to tag others once I’m done so I’ll go with Taylor from My Lucite Dreams, Sunny from Mostly Sunny, The Procrastinator over at Procrastinating Pretty, Angie at Vanity Rouge, Kai at Kai’s Obsessions, Claire at Aucuparia Brumalis, Monika at Rocaille Writes, Toya from Beauty Obsessed, and Emi at Project Swatch. And of course, anyone else that wants to join in, please do! I’d love to read everyone’s answers! Don’t feel obligated to do it but I hope you have fun with it if you do!! :) Here are my questions for you all:

1. Do you have a go-to look when it comes to makeup? If so, describe it!

2. On average, how often do you buy new makeup? Do you buy makeup more in-store or online?

3. Are there any brands that you have been dying to try but haven’t gotten a chance to yet?

4. Do you spend more money on makeup or skincare?

5. When it comes to skincare products, do you like to try new things a lot or do you stick to something loyally if you find it works for you?

6. Most reached for blush as of late? What about eyeshadow? Eyeliner?

7. Do you have any “HG” products? If so, share!

8. Is there that one perfect product that you keep searching for but have yet to find? If so, what is it?

9. If you had to choose just one beauty brand to shop from for the next 5 years, which brand would you choose?

10. Are you a sucker for packaging and/or pretty presentation (like the new trend of gorgeous, intricately embossed powders)?

11. You’re already running late but have on a completely bare face. Do you take an extra 5-10 (or even 15…:P) minutes to throw on just a little bit of makeup or do you go as is?

40 Responses to “11 Questions Tag”

1. JoanneP @ The Convenient Beauty March 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

I LOVE reading your answers! They feel so relaxing and easy going. I too play up my eyes for the night. But I still can’t manage tight lining. It irritates my eyes mentally. Thank you for joining the tag and spreading the love of blogging.

• becca March 8, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Aw yay! Thank YOU again for tagging me, Joanne, and for saying such sweet things about me on your blog! :) I had a lot of fun with this!

and LOL–it irritates them mentally :P Yeah I used to be a little weirded about by the idea but I started with very soft pencils and then moved on to cream liners. It’s very very easy if you have the right brush–otherwise, you could very well poke yourself in the eye or get product everywhere :P It just takes a lot of practice!

2. Teri March 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Yaaay, this was so much fun to read your answers! I think the firt picture is just so precious, I really understand why you didn’t get rid of it because I have a bit of the same thing. Lady looks really happy in that picture btw! ^^

• becca March 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Thanks Teri!! LOL yeah I get really attached to makeup and those pigment stacks remind me of middle school/high school when I used to do all of my friends’ makeup during class :P

3. Rocaille March 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks for tagging me, Becca! I’ll try to do the tag but I can’t promise, I’m really bad at those types of things :)

• becca March 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Haha no worries at all, I totally understand! I was tagged awhile ago and am just now getting to it :P it’s just a fun little thing but like I said, there is no obligation to do it whatsoever. HOWEVER, if you DO find the time, I would love to read your answers :)

4. Claire March 8, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

I just enjoy reading such posts! :) I don’t know why but it makes the blogger behing a blog just more real. And yay, I got tagged, now it’s time to think of my HGs, I have a lot I think, haha. And no, those pictures are not ugly. I know what you mean by not liking to take pics of used makeup but I recently started doing so and enjoyed those pics, haha. <3

• becca March 9, 2013 at 1:43 am #

Aw thank you, Claire! lol yeah, I just am really nitpicky and self-critical when it comes to my pics so when I see all that shimmer and pigment all over the compact, it drives me bonkers!! :P I can’t ever tell that your makeup is used when you take photos though so good job!!

Can’t wait to read all about your HG’s!! :D

• Claire March 11, 2013 at 12:37 am #

haha, that’s because I am super picky about ‘how’ I use my products, I clean them after every use and for example, my Lorac palette or my shu palette that I have for quite long now look almost unused (eventhough I use them), same with my chanel ultra rose blush (ok, but this baby is super pigmented). I don’t have anything against pics of used makeup but I don’t like messy makeup pics, or untidy compacts … hehe. I am the same as you Becca, tbh, I am never 100% satisfied with my pics, I think, I can do better and that every time. This can be a good and a bad thing (same in life, I always think, I can do better and am never satisfied, lol). <3

• becca March 11, 2013 at 2:30 am #

Haha I agree–it DEFINITELY can be a good and bad thing. Good to push yourself but bad when you spend 6 hours taking the same photo over and over and over again to correct minor flaws that I’m pretty sure no one else would notice :P hahaha! But good for you for taking such good care of your makeup! Honestly, I don’t really clean my makeup after every use (though for some of my older powder products I will periodically spray them with alcohol or scrape the topmost layer off)–I only take careful care to clean them on the off chance I decide to photograph them for the blog :P

5. Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) March 9, 2013 at 7:47 am #

This was fun to read, I love all the photos. I often feel that way about photographing used makeup too, but then I think, eh blogs are all about sharing what we love, so hey, it just shows that the products are well-loved. ;) I totally am with you on the places I’d go for ultimate fun, I’m completely a beach (or anywhere by the water) girl too. Aww Lady is sooo tiny and cute, I feel like my giant cat is even bigger than her haha

• becca March 9, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

I agree and I would never judge anyone else for doing so BUT, I will say that for myself, I am VERY nitpicky and just hate seeing dust/shimmer/pigment everywhere on my compacts :P Ah well, I suppose that just once is ok! haha

LOL! I always forget that Lady really IS kinda small :P She was the runt of her litter so she’s a lot smaller than other Malteses but I forget because she’s always with her little neice, who is my sisters dog, and she is TINY! Lady is a little heffer compared to her :P hahaha! What kind of cat do you have, Catherine?

• Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) March 10, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Hahaha awwww, that’s adorable that your sister got her neice. My cat is just your regular Garfield-style orange tabby :)

• becca March 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Awwww :D Name? Age? haha I love hearing about other people’s pets :P and I used to LOVE the Garfield comics–cute that urs is large and in charge too hahaha

6. Sunny March 9, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Loved reading this, Becca! Thanks for tagging me too (really thoughtful questions! I’ll work on them as soon as I can)! Lady is so darn cuuuuute, and we use the same foundation brush haha. I need to pick up a backup ASAP to be honest. Otherwise I’m washing the poor thing every day!

• becca March 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Yay! Can’t wait to read your answers, Sunny!! :D

And I LOVE the Shiseido brush. It’s a little difficult to wash but it’s soooo worth it. That’s great you use it so often that you need a backup! I really just use it to buff in my foundation after I’ve applied with fingers, so I’m good for now. It IS reaaally really nice though and is definitely the best foundation brush i’ve ever tried!!

7. Larie March 10, 2013 at 11:45 am #

What a fun read :D It really speaks about your makeup style :) And Lady is so freaking adorable! I love when dogs are soaking up the sunlight. They just seem so happy!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks Larie!! And yes–I love when Lady goes to her sunspots in the house and just basks in the warmth. She has her eyes closed and just seems SO happy and at peace :P Does Dennison do the same thing??

8. Liz March 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Oh, wifey, you lovely person you. <3

I think the only thing that really surprised me about these facts is the one about not wearing skirts! I kind of live in them during summer because they're so easy and breezy.

The story about your first foray into makeup is so sweet. I had to sneak my makeup and was forbidden to wear any until I was like 20. LOL

And now those peachy blushes will always remind me of you!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

Oh stop it! *blushes* :P

As for skirt-wearing the dead of summer, I prefer to go with jeans shorts. I LIVE in jean shorts during the summer :P Skirts have just never really been my thing. I’ve tried it but I just feel like an oaf lumbering around and trying to be dainty and feminine. :P hahaha

9. Taylor March 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

I really enjoyed this Becca! Thank you for tagging me :-)
    I love the story of your first makeup and that you still own it! Your collection of peach blushes is stunning! I’m have my eye on the EB and jouer. Lady is so cute!
    Oh and I ordered a Paul and Joe blush in Re-belle, I can’t wait!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Of course, Taylor! I can’t wait to read your answers…if you do them of course. (no pressure!)

Ahhh and I can’t wait to hear what you think about Re-Belle. I have been eyeing that one so I’m sure you’ll make me desperate to have it. If you love soft blushes, you’ll LOVE these!! :D

10. Tracy@Beauty Reflections March 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Fun to read your answers and learn more about you Becca! I don’t really do dresses or skirts either! I do have a maxi skirt though, but haven’t gotten the courage to wear it out yet haha!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Oooh cute–I have 2 maxi dresses that I’ve actually worn out before but no maxi skirts. I think that would be super cute! Don’t know why I never thought to get one because sometimes I even feel like a maxi dress–cotton or not–can be a bit too much, if you know what I mean. A maxi skirt paired with a cute tank and flipflops would be very cute and a bit more wearable/casual, I think. And casual is very much my style!! Oooh now you’ve inspired me to start looking for one! I hope you wear yours as soon as the weather permits–I bet you’d rock it, Tracy!! :D

11. Procrastinator March 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Thanks so much for tagging me, lady! I’ll get this up soon — need to think of 11 questions! I loved reading your answers, I hope mine are interesting!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Of course!! Can’t wait to read your answers :D

12. Gummy March 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I had fun reading your answers!! Think I totally agree with you about the MY_____but better answer. I’m finding more and more that while I like and appreciate so many different looks, in reality I don’t like to take the time to do them! LOL!! So I prefer to just enhance the natural and be happy that I managed to put makeup on at all :-)

Lady is precious!! She definitely looks like she would have fun on a picnic with some green space!

• becca March 10, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks Gummy! Yeah, doing complicated (but cool) eye looks is totally not my thing. Sometimes I like to play and experiment but for the most part, I generally stick with shades that I have found to be particularly flattering on me. Also, it takes me a LONG time to do those types of looks and most days, I just don’t have time. My regular routine already takes enough time as it is :P

13. Paige March 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

An interesting read. I like getting to know the person
    behind the beauty blog. Your dog, Lady, is adorable :)
    And it’s crazy that you don’t wear skirt. I love wearing skirts and dresses but I do wear pants/jeans/shorts
    too. Actually, I have a passion for not only makeup, but also skincare, clothes, and shoes. It’s a very expensive habit though D:

• becca March 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Thank you, Paige! :) And Lady says thank you too :P

Yeah I have never really been a big skirt or dress person. I did start wearing dresses during a kind of hippie phase in my life but for the most part, I am most comfortable in jeans–weather it be shorts or long pants. I was kind of a tomboy growing up so I like to dress for comfort, mostly :) Now that I am getting older though, I would like to start investing more on clothes and accessories rather than makeup. It’s hard though–makeup is so fun to buy but I already have SO much and I really do need some new clothes :P haha

14. Ruby March 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

This is a wonderful post and I love reading through your favourites. We have the same fetish for coral blush and yes, using clean fingers to apply foundation is really wonderful. :)

• becca March 11, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Thank you Ruby!! I had a lot of fun doing it :) And yes, I LOVE corals and peaches on my cheeks–they’re so foolproof and easy to wear. As for foundation, I do love using my fingers a lot, though I will say I have been veeery curious about the Beauty Blender lately!

15. xLoveHappyx March 11, 2013 at 10:28 am #

what a fun beauty tag :) i love that you kept those pigments from years ago–i’m the same way. i also think that foundation looks great when finger applied, but i usually buff it in with a brush because i don’t wanna wash my hands right after lol

• becca March 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Haha yeah, it definitely can get a little bit messy! :P Still, nothing beats the way it really melts into your skin! I mean, I love my Shiseido brush–it’s hands down the best foundation brush I’ve used yet, but still it can’t really melt the product into my skin like my hands can!! :D

16. Meryl @ Memoiselle March 13, 2013 at 7:40 am #

I love reading your tag post!
    You know, actually nobody inspired me to love beauty products too. I just feel like I need to love my skin more so I just start my love for skincare and make up. Well after few years, I think now I am more to obsessed to the products rather than just to love my skin more ;)

Your answer on your fave eye palette makes me think and think again on getting the Lorac pro palette!! My hands are itchy to get that palette :p

• becca March 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I can definitely understand that you love to play with makeup more than skincare–there’s just so much variety and so many colors, textures, etc. :D I obviously love beauty too but I think I do love my skincare just a bit more. I have never had good skin but in recent years after taking really, really good care of it (and spending LOTS of money) I finally feel like it’s at a pretty decent place. It always makes me diligent about good skincare and makes me curious to try new, “better” products out there! :D

17. Kai March 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Thanks for tagging me Becca! It’s so fun to read what your answers!
    And you have great questions for us tagged too!

I will work on it as soon as I can!

Thanks Becca for all your wonderful reviews! : )

• becca March 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Aw of course, Kai! I love your blog–you have great taste in makeup and I can’t wait to learn more about you! :)

18. svetlana March 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

OMG!!!!! i remember true colors!!!! at my mall i think it was sold at a kiosk…? taking me back. it’s taking me back, girl! ;P i used icky foundation from a drugstore that was too orange for my face for two dollars, HA! Perhaps the best first makeup i ever got was a mary kay set from a dear cousin of mine and it came with brushes and everything, i felt so grown up (and everything match- thankfully)! Lol.

• becca March 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Oooh Mary Kay–I almost forgot about that brand! I don’t think I’ve ever tried any cosmetics from the brand–only skincare! But True Colors man…wasn’t that fun?! :D