I’ve Finally Hit Pan!!!

29 Jan

I am proud to say that I have finally “hit pan”–and not just on one but two eyeshadows! I honestly don’t think I’ve ever hit pan on something…at least not that I can remember anyway, so it’s kind of a big deal for me. :P

The eyeshadows that have hit pan are my Laura Mercier Sateen Eye Colour in Sable and Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow in Metallic Taupe #127. Both have been in my possession for quite some time (Sable a bit longer than Metallic Taupe) and are favorites that I go to again and again, so it’s nice to see that I’ve finally hit pan. It seems to mark that yes, these are indeed go-to shadows of mine that get the use they deserve.

Taken with flash. You can really see the purple tones I was talking about!

Sable is a beautiful, shimmering, medium greyed-taupe with hints of purple. See? Didn’t I tell you that purply-taupes were my absolute favorite? :P

*On that note, you guys should see the purple-taupe Metallic Platinum shade from my Becca Ultimate Eye Colour Quad in Astro Violet! I’ve had it for what, 2 months, and already there is a very significant dip in that shade. So significant that I feel in another month or 2, I just may hit pan on it. That’s crazy! I have never used an eyeshadow that quickly before! Very exciting stuff!

Taken with flash. Again, now you can really see the red tones come out!

Metallic Taupe #127 is a medium-toned, incredibly satiny browned-taupe with subtle red tones to it. It’s called metallic but it’s really the softest, most satiny finish you ever did see–a super-soft metallic, if you will. I’m surprised I don’t own more Make Up For Ever shadows. I think it’s one of best eyeshadow formulas I’ve come across. It’s not the softest but it has to be one of the silkiest and smoothest. If you haven’t tried these, you need to!

*Side note: I know the swatches look really similar at first glance (and is not helped by the crappy lighting), but look closely (I suggest enlarging the image above) and you’ll see that Sable (on left) is more greyed with just a hint of purple and Metallic Taupe (on right) has much for of a sheen and is noticeably more brown. The differences are much more visible in person and especially on the eyes.

As you can see, I clearly have a thing for taupes. There’s a reason why it’s such a popular eyeshadow shade–it’s such an easy shade to wear and complex enough that it shines on its own. There are so many different variations of taupe these days that one can never own too many taupe shadows (or that’s my opinon, at least :P). I have several other taupes in my collection but these 2 are old standbys that I don’t ever want to be without!

So what about you–what have you “hit pan” on recently? Do you have a favorite shadow shade that you buy again and again? What are the go-to shadows in your stash?

48 Responses to “I’ve Finally Hit Pan!!!”

1. Arianne January 29, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

*tear* They’re beautiful.

• becca January 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

LOL! *bows* Thank you, thank you! :D

2. Chris El January 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Congrats! As someone who buys too much makeup, hitting pan is definitely an accomplishment. I love taupes so I need to look for both of those. ;)

• becca January 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

I know–isn’t it crazy?!! I never thought I’d see the day! :P

Yes you definitely need to check these out. They are so great for everyday wear. Most times, I like to swipe either of them across the eye as a quick wash, smudgy liner and I’m good to go. It’s simple but, as I said, still a bit interesting due to the complexities of the shade. LOVE taupe! :D

3. svetlana January 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

I love that sable color! I may have to covet the color for myself… te hee. I’ve hit pan once! Mac’s sweet lust… ok ok maybe twice and mac’s naked lunch. My very best friend in the world gave me those two colors!

• becca January 29, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Ooh you should, you should! Sable is an AWESOME everyday color. It goes with anything, is so easy to wear, and is super pretty all on its own! :D

I think when I was first getting into makeup, I got close to hitting pan on a few of my MAC shadows but they always seemed to crack/shatter before I could get to that point! This was before I knew you could fix them with rubbing alcohol so I always threw them out :/ Such a shame!

• svetlana January 29, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

well I DIDN’T know that. it Is true: ya learn somethin’ new everyday! i will remember that for sure! thanx becca!

• becca January 29, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Haha yeah! I haven’t tried it myself but I’ve read/watched a lot of tutorials so I will be prepared if the day ever comes again! :P haha! Apparently all you do is just crush the remaining cracked powder til it’s smooth and fine, mix with just a bit of rubbing alcohol to form a thick paste, smoosh it/level it with paper towel laying over it and something hard and flat to push down on to squeeze out any excess alcohol then let set overnight. Et voilĂ ! :D

4. Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) January 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Haha impressive!! Hitting pan gives me such a sense of satisfaction… it’s like – see I really DID need that 52nd beige eyeshadow ;) Do you have NARS Ashes to Ashes, Becca? Seems like one you’d like :)

• becca January 29, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Oooh you know, thank you so much for reminding me, Catherine! I was going to check out Ashes to Ashes because I’ve been wanting Burberry’s Rosewood FOREVER and I hear it’s a pretty good dupe! I have a lot of other things from Burberry that I’m wanting at the moment so a dupe of that would be nice so I can focus on the palettes and blushes :P THANK YOU!! <3

5. Sunny January 30, 2013 at 4:19 am #

Congrats on hitting pan! I can see why they’re your go-to eyeshadows. Pretty pretty things they are! The eyeshadows I use the most are Burberry Pale Barley, Hourglass Dune, and Bobbi Brown Rich Caviar palette, though I am not even close to hitting pan on any of those!

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Ooh if I had any Burberry shadows in my possession, I’m SURE they’d be my go-tos as well! I plan on getting one of the palettes this weekend though–or whenever I have time :P Also, that’s great you use Dune a lot! To be honest, I don’t use it at all anymore and have passed it on to my mom. Everytime I thought about using it, I was just disappointed about the “green” shade and how it wasn’t so green after all–it was certainly pretty and the texture was beautiful but I just don’t tend to wear very dark shadows like that often. :/

6. Lily January 30, 2013 at 5:18 am #

Well done babe! I hit pan on my Laura mercier secret camouflage concealer! Yay! But i don’t know how i can do that with eye shadows :-(

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Oooh congrats, Lily!! :P I know, it does seem impossible with shadows since I (and I’m sure you) have so many, which is why I was so floored when I saw I had hit pan on TWO shadows. Crazy!! :P

7. Icaria January 30, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Congrats! That is quite an accomplishment! Sable is now on my list! :)

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Yay! You will love it! SUCH an easy shade to wear! :D

8. Emi at Project Swatch January 30, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I’m still not completely convinced that hitting pan is a good thing, but WHOA those shadows are gorgeous! I must check them out.

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Hahaha I’m sure once the novelty has worn off, I will be a lot less excited that some of my most used shadows will need replacing, but til then I will bask in my sense of accomplishment!! :P haha

9. OPI Addict January 30, 2013 at 7:24 am #

exciting stuff! Gorgeous colours :)

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Thanks!! :D

10. Larie January 30, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Haha, congratulations! These are very Becca shades ;)

• becca January 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Lol–aren’t they?? :D

11. Julia January 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Both are really beautiful taupes, at first I leaned towards Sable more, but I like the sheen of #127 than the subtle sparkles that Sable has

• becca January 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

That’s why I’m glad I have both–on certain days I feel like more sheen vs. shimmer or more brown vs. purple/grey. Both are gorgeous and I never get tired of them!! :D

12. Taylor January 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Woohoo! I can see why you hit pan! These shades are gorgeous. I especially love the MUFE, I might have to look into it. I love their formula too, I have a loose shadow and its amazing, it’s bronze.

• becca January 30, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Ooh haven’t tried any of their loose shadows! I actually haven’t tried very many things from MUFE, surprisingly. Just their HD Powder, Aqua liners, Aqua Black, and a couple of pressed shadows. I swatched one of their blushes in-store before and LOVED it–not sure why I never went back for it. I’ve also always been curious about the HD blushes! Have you tried any of those, Taylor?

13. JoanneP @ The Convenient Beauty January 30, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Woot woot! Proud of you! I haven’t been able to hit pan. Finished one sheer liptick once :D

• becca January 30, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever finished a lip product. Well, one that wasn’t a lip balm, anyway (I finish PLENTY of those!!). It will be exciting when I reach the day where I hit pan on a cheek product–THAT will truly be amazing!! :P

14. Meryl @ Memoiselle January 30, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Both looks very lovely dear.. I know the feeling when we girls hit pan on some of our products, it gets so exciting! I allow myself to buy a product without feeling guilty at all after I hit pan on a product LOL LOL :D

• becca January 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

HAHA that is a VERY good treat for hitting pan, Meryl! I think I will do that same and treat myself to some Burberry goodies this weekend for doing such a good job! :P

15. Taylor January 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Everything I’ve tried from MUFE I’ve loved also, although I don’t find myself going back often.. Weird. I love the Aqua Liners, they’re a favorite. The loose shades, I think their called diamond shadows are gorgeous.. But I make such a mess of it. Never tried the HD blushes but I hear their great. I think MUFE is the best for long-lasting. Hmm…

• becca January 30, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

See, me too. I’ve loved everything but for some reason when I go shopping, MUFE is never one that I usually think to go to. Odd. I definitely need to remedy that–maybe I’ll grab one of the powder blushes and an HD blush, as well…and maybe an Aqua Cream? LOL :P

16. Procrastinator January 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

The thing I like about MUFE shadows is that they’re not too smushy but they apply beautifully smooth. I find when shadows are too easily nicked, I pick up a lot of product and it gets hard to build even colour

• becca January 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

I totally agree! The MUFE shadows are amazingly silky smooth and, while soft, they’re definitely not TOO soft. It doesn’t crumble and there is not a lot of fallout–it’s really nice! :D

17. Makeup Morsels January 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Damn girl, I don’t think I’ve ever hit pan on an eyeshadow before LOL. Congrats, now you just gotta empty those pans :) These are both gorgeous shades. How do you usually wear them?

• becca January 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Haha to be honest, the reason why they’re both used so much is because they’re my “lazy day shades” (which is most days :P). I just wear them alone as a quick wash (with a touch on the lower lashline–just at the outer third) and then add lots of mascara and smudgy black liner. I think they both work really well that way because, as I said, they’re easy to wear but also pretty and complex enough on their own that it doesn’t look…boring, I guess!

18. Toya January 31, 2013 at 5:26 am #

Whoa Becca – good work!! The only shadow I have hit pan on (ever) is MAC’s Arena. Two is quite a feat! I really wish I ‘got’ taupes more, I know they’re stunning on so many people, but they really do nothing for my skin tone. Maybe a really warm version or something…I’ll keep my eyes peeled :)

And yes, MUFE’s shadows are lovely and totally underrated!!

• becca January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Really? I am trying to imagine a taupe shadow on you…I guess maybe I understand what you’re saying. I think It would work but it might not be a single wash of color-shade for you–it’d look better with a darker defining color. I also think a darker purpled-taupe would look gorgeous on you! Of course I’d have to see it but I I really do think it’d be quite nice with your skin tone!! :D

19. Emi at Project Swatch January 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

So I already commented on this post, but more comments = better, right?

I was at Sephora yesterday, and you inspired me to swatch the MUFE eyeshadow, which I (surprisingly!) have never done before. I swatched one satin finish one that was SO lovely, just the most perfect texture & finish. There’s actually a possibility it was this one – I don’t remember the number. If it was, I totally get why you love it so! It’s on my wishlist for sure :)

• becca January 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Haha of course! One can never have too many comments ;)

And I’m so glad you checked it out! Isn’t the texture just sooooo silky satiny smooth?!! Those are really the best words to describe it. I haven’t tried any of their matte shadows or Diamond shadows so I can’t speak for those but the “Shimmer” ones (but really satin) are so, so nice! I hope you do pick up a shade or two and do a review! :D

20. Girl February 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

LOL congrats! Those are beautiful colours, I wonder if my death will be by drowning in makeup…

• becca February 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

LOL! Sometimes feels that way so that’s why I was so happy to see pan for the first time in my life!! :P Have you ever hit pan on anything before?

21. Liz February 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Haha, yes, they’re totally different shades. ;) Congratulations! I’m working hard to hit pan on a Bobbi Brown shade that has the lowest dip in the pan. It’ll be a first — IF it ever happens!

• becca February 2, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Haha thanks wifey! :) Which Bobbi Brown shade are you working on? I hope you are able to hit pan soon–it’s a very satisfying feeling! But of course, as Emi pointed out, the initial excitement will probably wear off the lower that I get in the pan and soon, I will be grumbling about having to repurchase :P haha

22. Jennifer February 3, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Could totally feel your excitement about hitting pan!!! It’s just so rare for the makeup obsessed, isn’t it :D

now i need to bring myself to check out these two gorgeous taupes! Thanks to you Becca!

• becca February 3, 2013 at 3:02 am #

Haha it IS very rare so I was very proud of myself for hitting pan on two!! :P I usually HATE feeling like I’m running out of my favorite products but in this case, it was exciting since it was the first time. I’m sure next time it happens, I won’t be so thrilled :P

Definitely check these shades out though, Jennifer–they’re gorgeous for everyday wear! :D

23. Olivia February 19, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I randomly came upon your blog and I kind of regret it now because I am lemming hard for Metallic Taupe! I’ll have to ask for it for NEXT xmas or something because I just can’t bring myself to purchase a 20 dollar eyeshadow (plus shipping!). le sigh. The life of a broke college student. I need food & weed & booze more than I need expensive ass eyeshadows lol. Especially because I have like 100 eyeshadows (in palettes). But I think when I decide to venture into MUFE Metallic Taupe is going to be my first purchase : )

• becca February 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Haha I feel you on that–being a broke college student SUCKS! :P There are sooo many items that I want right now–Burberry’s palettes, Giorgio Armani’s new Eyes to Kill Quad Shimmers (all four of them! :P), a few blushes….eeps! But I will say if you can save the money for this MUFE shadow, it is VERY much worth it. One pan lasted me over a year and I use it ALL the time, so it was definitely worth the money! :)