Christmas Moon…

25 Dec

Did anyone else see this tonight? There’s a halo around the moon–how perfect is that for Christmas night?! It was actually much brighter–and much more beautiful–in person, but I had some difficulty capturing the full effect with my camera.

The halo effect is caused by light diffracting off of ice crystals suspended in the air. Interesting, huh? Supposedly, it means that rain or snow is on the horizon (from a folk song that states “when there‚Äôs a ring around the moon, rain or snow is coming soon.”) [source]. Bah, more rain?!! :(

Hope you all had a merry Christmas!! :D See you tomorrow!

12 Responses to “Christmas Moon…”

1. Larie December 26, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Hope you had a fabulous Christmas, Becca! :) I didn’t notice the moon yesterday!

• becca December 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Aw you too, Larie!! :D And the moon was GORGEOUS!! I was outside freezing my butt off for an hour taking pics and just watching it :P It was all worth it though!

2. Makeup Morsels December 27, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Totally missed this! Probably because I was running around the kitchen trying not to blow it up, and then huddled under the covers reading fairytales all night long. It’s so beautiful though, thanks for sharing! I would’ve never known otherwise hahaha. Hope you had a lovely Christmas day :)

• becca December 27, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Oooh that sounds like an awesome Christmas, MM–very relaxing! I take it you succeeded in not blowing anything up?!! :P

3. Taylor December 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Wow, I missed this. I’m glad to see the photo though. I got snow :-)

• becca December 28, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Pretty huh? I wish it hadn’t been so cold otherwise I would have hung out outside all night looking at it. I did spread out a blanket and take some pictures and admire for about an hour but by then, I was almost frostbitten :P

4. Popblush December 28, 2012 at 3:41 am #

Hope you had an awesome Christmas! The halo around the moon is beautiful…

• becca December 28, 2012 at 3:52 am #

Aw thanks hon–you too!! :D

5. Liz December 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Astronomy is fascinating but all that stuff goes way over my head, lol. (Long time ago I tried to take a course meant for arts students but had to drop it due to all the chemistry involved.) Hope you had a wonderful wonderful Christmas, my darling!

• becca December 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I know I find astronomy itself very interesting but when you actually take the courses in college, it’s just too much other stuff involved :P I just wanna learn about stars and planets, yo! Haha!

Hope you had a very merry Christmas too, darling! Happy New Year!! <3

6. Joyce (bronzerbunny) January 1, 2013 at 11:30 am #

PRETTY! I know i’m late but i hope you had a great Christmas and New Year’s! :)

• becca January 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm #