27 Sep

Since I had so many of you mention the green polish I was wearing in the pics from my Pure+Simple Lactic Acid Original 5% review, I figured I’d dedicate a little post to it–a “Mini Sample”, if you will. I don’t really have time to do my usual long, drawn-out review for this particular product (was that a sigh of relief I just heard?! :P), but that doesn’t mean I’m loving it any less! I actually grabbed a few of these Maybelline Color Show polishes several weeks ago and they’re really good guys. I was a bit unsure because my general experience with drugstore makeup brands releasing nail polishes has been pretty disappointing (I loathe those Revlon polishes–they’re absolutely god-awful, if you ask me). Nail polishes from drugstore nail polish brands are a different story…anyhoo, I’ve been really, really happy with these so far–I think they’re really great.  They go on smoothly and without fuss, are super easy to apply, and dry fairly quickly.

The colors are what really get me though! I saw Go Go Green and I knew I had to have it–it’s just so bright and fun and cheerful! It helps me forget that Fall is almost upon us…:( where oh where did Summer go?? Go Go Green looks like an almost avocado-y/lime green shade indoors, but in the sun it turns the vibrant, cheery yellow-green that you see above.

I also picked up 190 Coral Crush as well as two polishes from the Denims collection: 10 Denim Dash and 20 Styled Out. Oh my gosh you guys, Styled Out is just insanely pretty. I’d seen reviews and swatches of it online, but in person, it’s just beyond gorgeous. It’s what I wore on my toes for my sister’s wedding–and the week before that, I had it on my hands :) If you guys haven’t tried these already, you need to do so immediately!

You can find them at various drugstores (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aide, Target, etc.) and online (would you believe ALL the shades are out of stock on Maybelline’s site??). MSRP $3.99 (prices will vary from store to store. Walmart.com has them for $2.79 at the moment)

*side note: please forgive those dinks in my nails–I’m so bad at doing my nails! :P

38 Responses to “The Mini Sample: Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer in 340 Go Go Green (Mini Review & Photos)”

1. Paris B September 27, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Uh, excuse me, what dinks? :P That’s such a Shrek green :D

• becca September 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

LOL oh they’re there–trust me. :P Shrek-green, that’s a good one! I suck at trying to describe colors!

2. Sunny September 27, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Ahhh this is pretty on you! I like it! Not too sure we get this line here, but maybe I didn’t check properly :)

• becca September 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Oooh I hope you do–they’re really, really great and so fun! I just wish they had more available in-stores! Definitely let me know if you can get a hold of these!

3. Tracy@Beauty Reflections September 28, 2012 at 12:16 am #

I love it! And OMG your nails are gorgeous!

• becca September 28, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Aw thanks Tracy! This color is so bright, it cheers me up everytime I look at them. That’s why I LOVE wearing bright colors! :D

4. trishie September 28, 2012 at 1:55 am #

LOVE this green shade on you! I wouldn’t normally go for something so bright, but you made it look awesome

• becca September 28, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Haha thanks Trishie. I’m a big fan of bright nails–I wear them year-round, whether it’s Fall or Summer. I find that they always seem to cheer me up a big :)

5. fairytalesandcoffee September 28, 2012 at 3:04 am #

I almost picked up this color last week. It is similar to Revlon’s Super Natural. Revlon isnt so bad for polishes. But I suck at polish application regardless. I find Maybelline has some pretty awesome metallic shades I picked up.

• becca September 28, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I’m glad you like the Revlon polishes–I just find the formula is quite thick and sticky and doesn’t apply evenly for me. I MUCH prefer Essie (it’s the main nail polish brand I buy), but I’m glad I found these Maybelline ones. They’re not bad at all!

6. Lulle September 28, 2012 at 4:14 am #

First thing I thought (and actually said out loud) when I saw the picture was “woo!”. It’s bright, borderline “in your face”!

It’s a very fun shade!

• becca September 28, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Hahaha I know it is–but isn’t it so fun though?!? I think my camera made it a smidge brighter than it really is though. Of course, this was also taken in bright, direct sunlight with the green grassy background :P

7. Toya September 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Um, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a lime green and ADORED it. OMG Becca, this color was MADE for you!! And your perfect nails :) It really looks terrific my dear!

• becca September 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Thank you so much, Toya!! :D It’s weird having people say I have nice nails–I have to do SO much maintenance on them to ensure they look even semi-decent most of the time. My cuticles naturally grow like weeds and always look janky if I don’t stay on top of it for even a day!

Is lime green not really your thing? Maybelline has a LOT of other really pretty colors though so if you can, try them! They’re pretty darn awesome!

8. Miss Kwong September 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

this is so vibrant and unique!
    love this colour! x

I absolutely adore your blog.
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom
    Facebook: Miss Kwong From Catwalk to Classroom

• becca September 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Isn’t it pretty spectacular? If there’s one place I’ve never been afraid to play with color, it’s my nails! :D

9. Dovey September 29, 2012 at 5:46 am #

What a great jolt of green. I don’t think I could wear brights everyday, but it is fun to mix things up from time to time!

• becca September 29, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Do you wear neutrals a lot or are you a no-polish kinda gal? I really love the look of neutrals (I want literally every single shade from Sabrina’s post on pinky-nude polishes). I do have some neutrals and soft pinks and the like, but when it comes time to actually USE them, I always end up changing my mind and going for a neon or another bright instead and thinking “next time”…which usually never comes. :P I just like my brights! :D

10. Tina September 29, 2012 at 8:24 am #

This looks like such a fun color on you, although I don’t think I could pull it off!

Styled Out looks PERFECT though! So, so pretty!

• becca September 29, 2012 at 10:47 am #

OMG I LOVE Styled Out–it really DOES look kinda like denim too, but in a really cool, super pretty kind of way! Will you be picking it up?? I love it! :D

11. Liz September 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

Wifey, your nails and polish application skills are both awesome! This isn’t the sort of green I’m drawn to myself but seeing it makes me happy and reminds me of summer and sunshine. I’ve gotten rid of most of my drugstore polishes but now almost all the brands have reformulated/repackaged and are drawing me in again!! I know what you mean – those old Revlons were really awful.

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

• becca September 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Aw thank you my darling :D I know, I really, REALLY hate those Revlon ones–they’re SO goopy and I’ve found that no matter the color, they don’t settle very well and always nail coming through in different parts :/ I even bought a pretty coral color a few weeks ago, hoping to give it another chance. I mean, how hard can it be to do a medium, shimmery polish right? FAIL! It was SO goopy and I had to use 3 coats to get it opaque, which of course made it take FOREVER to dry. I hate the stuff. I really do like these Maybelline ones though. If you have them there, you should def give it a try!

12. Tina @ My Highest Self October 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

What a green! It’s funny I loved the Revlon polish AND these Maybelline polish too!

• becca October 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

Really? Well I’m glad the Revlon ones work for you! They do have a lot of pretty colors but for some reason, I just can’t get them to work for me. LOVE these Maybelline ones though. Which colors do you have??

13. Makeup Morsels October 2, 2012 at 3:25 am #

whoaa I scrolled down and was like ‘where’s the rest of the review?’ hehe. Looks gorgeous on you, I think you’re one of the few people who could pull off a color like that! LOL and I’m with Paris, what dinks? Your polish application skills are amazing!

• becca October 2, 2012 at 9:47 am #

LOL I decided to mix it up a bit and not post my usual rambling essay/post :P I never really thought this color might be hard to pull off, but I guess maybe it’s because I’m just so used to wearing bright polishes in all shades on my hands all the time haha

14. Joyce (bronzerbunny) October 5, 2012 at 12:54 am #

don’t worry, your nails look perfect! I am HORRIBLE at doing my own nails so everything i do is not picture worthy lol. I also like the “mini sample” title btw!

• becca October 5, 2012 at 1:21 am #

Haha thanks Joyce :) I really am quite horrible at doing my nails usually, but I do feel like I’ve improved enough lately to where I can actually do nail swatches. But my cuticles are what KILL me. No matter how well I take care of them, they are just resistant to improvement. If you look closely at the pic above, you will see what I mean. They drive me CRAZY!

15. Memoiselle October 6, 2012 at 2:04 am #

Becca!!! You have a perfect nails!! How could you say that it’s horrible? It looks very nice :D
    Green is not really my color but I don’t mind wearing it occasionally.

• becca October 6, 2012 at 2:08 am #

aw thanks hon! :D I guess we’re all critical of our own features :P

What kind of colors do you prefer? I just love bright greens and blues–they’re something so uplifting about looking down at your hands and seeing a bold color jumping out at you!

16. Stephanie October 12, 2012 at 12:59 am #

That is such a gorgeous colour! I will have to find a nice dupe of it. Any suggestions? I feel like sometimes when I find dupes in store lighting, they turn out completly different and vice versa. And as you said that this was a chameleon, it’ll be much more difficult to find it a twin in those icky florensent lights :P

• becca October 12, 2012 at 1:21 am #

Hi Stephanie!!

Is there any particular reason you’re looking for a dupe? Are you wanting something less expensive? Because these are $3.99 MSRP, but usually you can find them for a lot cheaper in drugstores. I can’t think of anything else that is remotely similar but cheaper except MAYBE Spoiled by Wet n Wild’s I Only Eat Salads. It’s a lime-green shade, but I think Go Go Green is a tad more vibrant while I Only Eat Salads is a touch more yellow-toned. I believe the Spoiled polishes are around $1.99. Hope this helps! Let me know if you were just looking for a different brand but not necessarily cheaper!

17. Amanda October 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Great color! I love the wear of the Color Show nail polishes too. I always get way over 7 days wear when I use one of them. They’re very chip resistant!

• becca October 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Really? I actually don’t get a full 7 days, but that might be the new top coat I’m using, so I’ll have to double-check that next week. But regardless, I’m still really enjoying these because the colors are so fun and they’re so easy to apply! I really like them!

18. Shannon October 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

I’ve been curious about the Maybelline polishes – I’ve seen quite a few nice shades I’d like to try! This green is great– so vibrant and fun :)

• becca October 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Oh they’re great, Shannon–I’m not sure if they have the best wear, but with the right top coat, it doesn’t really matter :P I’m wearing my first dark shade of the Fall season–Maybelline’s Twilight Rays. It’s a black cream with flaky gold glitter in it and it’s GORGEOUS! They have a lot of beautiful colors and they’re SO cheap, so I can’t recommend them more!

19. yen October 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Becca! I love that you do inexpensive products too…. i love your reviews and blogs about high-end beauty products… but they get a bit pricey so it’s nice to see “everyday” products too! thanks!

• becca October 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Haha I know I keep meaning to feature more drugstore products but then I get swept away by the excitement of all the high-end products that are waiting to be reviewed :P I have quite a few drugstore items waiting to be reviewed too though, so they should be coming up soon! :D