Sweet Lola of Lola’s Secret Beauty Blog nominated me for the Liebster Award, which recognizes up-and-coming bloggers. I can’t say how thrilled I am to receive this! It’s always nice to be recognized for something, and with the amount of work that we bloggers put in our blogs, it’s especially nice to know that your efforts are appreciated
*Update: because I lagged on posting this for so long, I also got tagged a second time by the lovely Kumiko Mae of Loving Sunshine. So, to avoid doing two separate posts, I just included the extra questions from Kumiko at the bottom.
Thanks so much again, Lola and Kumiko! ♥
1. Post 11 facts about yourself
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create 11 questions for people you’ve nominated to answer
3. Choose 11 people to give this award to (with fewer than 200 followers) and link them in your post
4. Go to their page and tell them
5. Remember, no tag backs!
11 Facts About Me
1. Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day
2. My dog, Lady, is my best friend in the whole entire world!
3. Beauty blogging is the only real hobby I’ve picked up as an adult and I absolutely love doing it!
4. I am an absolute book freak! I love, love, love to read
5. I think it’s magical when it’s raining but the sun is shining. It’s my favorite weather by far!
6. I’ve learned that the only person you can ever truly count on is yourself
7. Having good skin is a million times more important to me than owning a lot of nice makeup
8. I don’t ever wear full-coverage, opaque lipstick–but I’m working on it
9. I’d rather be too cold than too hot any day of the week
10. I would die without music
11. I love watching infomericals–they’re ridiculously addicting!
My Questions from Lola
1. What compels you to blog? Why did you start a beauty blog?
I have always had a love affair with all things beauty-related. Last year, I started reading beauty blogs and was instantly addicted. I loved how everyone had a difference voice and a different take on different products. I decided to start my own blog because I thought that a.) it would be a great way to network with people in the beauty industry (I want to work in the beauty industry in some capacity), b.) I could “meet” fellow beauty addicts (I’ve never had anyone that I could really talk to in great depth with about beauty), and c.) it’s just fun!!!
2. If you could pursue any profession other than your own, what would it be and why?
I’m very interested in PR for beauty brands–I think it gives you a great opportunity to work with a variety of people who share common passions/interests
3. What is your very favorite luxury brand for eyeshadows? Lipstick? Blush?
For eyeshadows, I would say Hourglass or Kevyn Aucoin. For lipstick, I would say Burberry. I just adore Burberry’s Lip Mist formula and can’t wait to collect them all (oh it’s going to happen!). Blush…I would also have to go with Burberry–their blush formula is divine!!! Chanel is also becoming a favorite. Their powder formula is not as good, but I really do like their color selection.
4. Your greatest drugstore brand discovery (makeup or skincare) and why?
Sonia Kashuk. All her makeup products are of amazing quality at affordable prices and her brushes are fantastic! 90% of my brushes are Sonia Kashuk
5. What is your idea of the perfect lipstick?
Sheer, moisturizing, comfortable…in a word? Lip Mist. (I know, I know…that’s two)
6. If you could sit and have a conversation with any person of historical significance (living or dead), who would it be and why?
Cleopatra!!! I’d love to get some beauty tips from the supposed greatest beauty of her time. Plus, I’ve always been really interested in the study of Egypt since I was a kid
7. What brings you the greatest pleasure in life?
My family, my dog, and beauty products
8. What is your one Holy Grail skincare product?
I’m very careful not to dub any product as my “Holy Grail” because I’m fickle and am always in search of the next best thing. That being said, I really do love my Retin-A cream. It’s the only product out there that is 100% clinically proven to treat wrinkles. It also prevents and treats acne flare-ups for me. Love the stuff.
9. Foundation or tinted moisturizer?
Right now, tinted moisturizer for sure
10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be (other than where you live)?
Hawaii. I’m craving a beautiful, sunny, and laid-back atmosphere right now. Plus, it isn’t too far from my home that I couldn’t visit
11. What luxury brand do you find to be overrated? What luxury brand do you find to be underrated?
Oh this is a hard one! I don’t know…maybe Chanel for overrated? Now don’t get me wrong–I do love my Chanel products, but I’ve found that while their powder eyeshadow and blush formulas are pretty good, they’re definitely not the best I’ve tried. There are many brands out there with better blush and eyeshadow formulas–and at a more affordable price too! Their skincare has never really appealed to me either–too overpriced and the ingredients list for most of the products are a bit unimpressive to me.
For underrated…I’ll go with Kevyn Aucoin. I know there are the die-hard KA fans out there, but I don’t see the brand getting as much love as it deserves. Of the products I’ve tried or played with at a counter, I haven’t met a single one that wasn’t incredible. The textures are perfection, the formulas are spot-on, the shades are beautiful, fun, wearable. Good stuff!
My Questions from Kumiko
1. What’s your favorite book and why?
This is SO hard–I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to answer this. It’s like asking a mother to choose her favorite child–impossible!!! That being said, here are a few that I have enjoyed in the past: The Lord of the Rings series, the Game of Thrones series, Echo by Francesca Lia Block, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Dracula by Bram Stoker, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (love the books–the show, not so much :/), and Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
2. If you can be born again to a life of your choosing, what would it be like and where will it be? If different period, you might want to share the period too! Be creative!
I’ve always wondered what life would have been like as a flower-child growing up in the 60′s. Life would have been so simple and carefree. And of course, there’s Woostock (if I were to ever get over my phobia of crowds)–that would have been awesome.
3. What are you saving up for right now?
A few Giorgio Armani items from the Neiman Marcus Beauty Event!
4. What were you like in high school (if still in high school, in grade school then)?
In a word? Rebellious!
5. What are your thoughts on bullying (online especially, let me know if you’ve experienced it or know someone who have!)?
I personally haven’t experienced this (…yet?? Knock on wood!), but of course I see it happening all the time on places like Youtube and online-forums. People think that because they’re “protected” by a computer screen, it gives them a right to be assholes. It’s ridiculous, but what can you do? Just shrug it off, because there are so many more people who aren’t jerks and are really, really amazing and kind if you give them a chance!
6. Why do you blog?
Because I love all things beauty-related, I love getting to interact with people who have similar interests, and I love to write and take pictures!
7. How do you unwind?
Hang out with my dog, drink a cup of tea, listen to music, read, eat.
8. What’s the most irritating thing for you?
When people pretend to be something they’re not.
9. If there’s one thing you can change about yourself, what would it be and why?
Less temper and more self-confidence!
10. What are your thoughts on mermaids?
Beautiful! Definitely wish they existed–or used to exist, in the very least. Can you imagine how awesome that would be if you got to learn about the history of mermaids in History 101?!? “Mermaids in the U.S Before the Reconstruction“.
11. What’s the most remarkable thing that ever happened to you so far?
I can’t choose just one remarkable experience since I have had so many, so I’ll just be completely unoriginal and say “being born!”
My Questions to the People I’ve Nominated
1. What was the hardest thing about starting a blog for you?
2. What’s your favorite thing about blogging?
3. Name one fashion or beauty trend that you have been loving lately
4. If you had to choose just one brand to shop from for the rest of your life, which would you pick and why?
5. If money weren’t an object, what beauty product would you purchase right now?
6. What is your number 1, can’t-live-without product? Why?
7. Which makeup/beauty products do you compulsively buy? (aka: what is your beauty drug-of-choice?)
8. What’s the most expensive product in your beauty arsenal?
9. How would you describe your beauty style? (i.e casual, subtle, bold, wild, etc.)
10. Do you see yourself still blogging 5 years from now? How about 10?
Who Have I Nominated?
*these are blogs I really do love to read–I didn’t want to choose 4 more random blogs just for the hell of it. I’d rather just pick 7 that I really enjoy to read and really think are going places