The Friday Mixer

3 Aug

Lady is the funniest little thing ever. She always blinks when I go to take her picture! I swear, she is so like Marshall from How I Met Your Mother (please tell me someone knows what I’m talking about)!! Observe:

Click image to enlarge

Isn’t that funny? Lol, ok moving on…erm, yeah–so I kinda forgot about doing the Friday Mixers for a couple of weeks…my apologies! But I’m back now and ready to blow off some steam–so let’s do this!!!

1. Any good hauls this past week?

A couple of things from Kevyn Aucoin, mascara, fake lashes, and a Maybelline Baby Lips lip balm (love this stuff!)

2. What was the highlight of your week?

Watching the sun rise…it’s the small things :)

3. If you could create the ultimate, perfect smoothie right now, what would you put in it?

Blueberry Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, strawberries, banana, a touch of honey, some vanilla protein powder, and a tiny squeeze of fresh orange for some zest. Yum! Or I would just buy myself a strawberry-banana smoothie from Surf City Squeeze. Dude, do any of you guys have one near you? Those things are super addictive!

4. Do you like to plan out your beauty purchases carefully or just play it by ear?

Usually, I like to plan my purchases carefully…excluding the last week or two because, quite frankly, I needed it! :P But most of the time, the reason why I’m so late on the uptake with new products is because I like to thoroughly research the each item before buying it. This includes reading as many reviews as I can, checking the ingredients list online, and reading the manufacturer details on their site.

5. What items are currently on your wishlist?

Oh you don’t even know. I have such a long ongoing list, at this point it’s just ridiculous…and maybe a little sad?? I’ll just list these few items: Hourglass Illume Creme-to-Powder Bronzer Duo in Sunset (looks so, so pretty! And I have been dying to try a cream bronzer, now that I’m officially a bronzer-lover!); Chantecaille’s Fun Cheek Color–new for Fall 2012; some of the new Maybelline Great Lash mascara shades (check out this article). I definitely became obsessed with finding the perfect blue mascara after Stella McCartney’s Fall presentation–but I have such a problem with buying high-end mascaras that I ended up passing on the lovely options from YSL, Guerlain, and Laura Mercier (after all, nothing works for my sparse lashes like CoverGirl’s Lash Blast Volume does–so why should I pay more?!). So I’m really excited about this more affordable option from Maybelline. I was thinking just the blue one at first, but now I really want the purple and teal! :P If you’re interested, act fast because they’re supposedly limited-edition (available until the end of August, according to style.com).

Aaand that’s all she wrote. Overall, would you say you had a good week? Bad week? If so, why? Any exciting weekend plans? Share! ♥

41 Responses to “The Friday Mixer”

1. Beauty Box August 3, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Aww your dog is such a cutie.

I like to plan high-end purchases carefully too. E.g. I took over a year to decide whether to get the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation…but that’s also because I’m a foundie freak and have plenty in my stash so it’s hard to justify high-end base makeup on a whim.

I’ve had a productive week and am looking forward to a relaxing weekend that involves a Sunday brunch date but not much else.

• becca August 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks!

Yeah I’m definitely the same way with my purchases–though maybe I wouldn’t quite wait a year :P Sounds like you have a lot of foundation though! I’m quite the opposite. I have such picky skin that when I find a foundation that I love and that works for me, I tend to stick with it til I get bored. :P

Have a great weekend!

2. dani@callitbeauty August 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Lady is adorable!

This week has been fairly stressful and I bought wayyy too many things (considering the amount of money I spent at IMATS), so there’s a bit of buyers remorse. I really need to cut back in the coming months, but Fall collections! D:

• becca August 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Haha thanks Dani! :P

Oh really? What do you regret buying? I know–you picked a bad time to try and cut back! All the Fall collections are so beautiful, it’s driving me crazy trying to resist :P

3. Tracy@Beauty Reflections August 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Lady is so cute!!
    I just got a Vitamix Blender so I am looking out for some good healthy smoothie recipes!
    I am seriously wanting the Chantecaille palette and blush and I will order it for sure I think. I like how the some of the money goes for something good too.

• becca August 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Oooh how exciting! I’ve heard a lot about the Vitamix Blender–I’d LOVE to have one and make delicious, fresh green smoothies every morning! Have you used it yet? Is it awesome?! :D

Isn’t the Chantecaille Fall 2012 collections gorgeous?! I’ve always wanted to try something from the brand and I don’t think I could’ve picked a better collection to start with :) So amazing that the brand always teams up with these great organizations that benefit animals (Lady would approve!)–more brands definitely need to do it.

4. Larie August 4, 2012 at 4:04 am #

Cuuuute! She’s a darling.

1. Good hauls: I bought my vampy lipstick. It’s a surprise ;)

2. The highlight of my week: finding an awesome SA at Nordstrom today!

3.Smoothie: greek yogurt, banana, blueberries, splash of orange juice. Similar to yours!

4. I do both. Some things I research very carefully, but sometimes I just want to buy something. Usually the former, though – I need to look up ingredients, etc.

5. My wishlist: Some skincare items and a mascara that works. I also LOVE colored mascara, so I want to look for those Maybelline ones as well, to see their ingredients!

• becca August 4, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Oh Larie–that vampy lipstick looks SO friggin amazing on you girl! Good choice! :D

I’ll cross my fingers for you with these new mascaras–but I’m not sure you’ll be in luck :/ I know the Royal Blue non-LE version contains parabens, so I am just guessing that the 4 LE shades will as well. Still, you never know. I plan on going hunting for them this weekend so I’ll let you know if I find out!

5. Makeup Morsels August 4, 2012 at 4:36 am #

ohhh damn that sounds like a good smoothie. My go-to is Fage 2% Greek Yogurt, frozen strawberries, a touch of honey, and Trader Joe’s strawberry/banana/orange juice base.

Lady is the cutest thing I have seen today. All week. All my life? So hilarious.

• becca August 4, 2012 at 5:24 am #

Hahaha why thank you, MM! I just told her you said so and she snorted, so, take that however you will :P

Fage Greek yogurt, huh? I haven’t heard of it! Where do you get yours? I must check this out! I am always in search of the next best Greek yogurt. I really like Chobani too

6. popblush August 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Nawww, that is so funny how she always blink! Such a cutie beary!

I have such a long list of products on my wish list too – it would be in my dreams that I could ever acquire everything on my list! Haha

• becca August 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Lol thanks hon :P

I know how you feel–at this point, my wishlist is SO freaking long that I’d have to win the lottery to be able to afford everything. Still, I think it’s fun to write everything down and keep track and dream :P

7. Sunny August 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I like Lady! She’s so white and fluffy!

I got back to Belgium about 12 hours ago, and they just delivered my suitcase (my first flight took off 1.5 hour late, so I managed to catch the connecting flight in Frankfurt but my suitcase didn’t). I’ve been enjoying a regular Saturday. Did some grocery-shopping, sat down for lunch in the sun, and hugging all my babies :)

• becca August 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Sunny :D

I’m sorry about your luggage–isn’t that the absolute WORST after a long flight and all you want to do is relax and then you have to worry about your luggage?! Well, I’m glad you’re home with your little babies now! Did you have fun?

8. Dovey August 5, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Oh my gosh, what a sweetheart! She is too cute! My dog does a similar thing. Whenever a camera comes her way she looks somewhere else or closes here eyes.

• becca August 5, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Aww lol–cute! They’re smart little buggers aren’t they :P

9. Jacqueline August 5, 2012 at 8:57 am #

You have such a cutie of a dog, I want to give Lady a tummy rub.

I don’t always plan out my beauty purchases but when I see swatches and pictures of new collections coming in, I sort of know what I will pick up and what are iffys. My beauty wish list is to own a Suqqu Cheek brush and a Tom Ford blush. I’m also eyeing the Giorgio Armani Neo Brown palette.

• becca August 5, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Thanks hon–I will definitely tell Lady you said so :P

I’ve never really craved a brush before–I’m quite content with the quality of my cheap brushes, but I DO want a Suqqu eyeshadow palette…or anything else from the brand, really. I’ve never heard a bad thing about Suqqu, and the fact that it’s so hard to come by makes it even more desirable! The GA Neo Brown palette is still iffy to me. I don’t want or need any more of the neutral shades in there, but that blush is SO gorgeous, I’m wondering if it’ll be worth the purchase just for the blush? :P

10. Yessie August 5, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Lady is soooo cute:)
    Love my baby lips- pink punch is my fave.

I had the best (home made) smoothie today at a friends BBQ- had most of the same ingredient you mentioned and then I asked for peanut butter- sounds weird but I loves me some PB!

• becca August 5, 2012 at 11:10 am #

I am definitely going back for more Baby Lips–they’re surprisingly nice! And of course, I love the scent and SPF in it!

And lol–peanut butter? I guess I could see how that MIGHT work…:P

11. Sukie August 5, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Hello Becca!

Like you I like to carefully plan out my purchases too but sometimes the inevitable happens. For example, I drop by a makeup counter, swatch / try a product I don’t need, fall in love and walk away with it. :s I’m that bad! I’m still learning to exude more self-control lol! I love dogs and wish I owned one but we can’t at home as my brother is allergic to them. =( But Lady is one lovely lady! xx

• becca August 5, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Haha I know–there have definitely been times (especially in the last few weeks) where I’ve made some pretty spontaneous purchases too :P

That’s too bad about your brothers allergies :/ Getting a dog was one of the best things that has happened to me. Maybe one day you can get one! Fingers crossed! :)

12. Liz August 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I love Lady! And the name Lady. (One of the Stark children named their direwolf pup “Lady” in Game of Thrones… did you snag the name before or after?) How old is Lady?

I feel like my week was a gazillion years long. The first half of it was insane with the summer course crashing to an end and the last half dragged with nothing else to do to fill up my spare time, lol.

• becca August 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Oh I love you Liz :D FINALLY someone to talk to about Game of Thrones! And yes, Sansa’s direwolf was named Lady! Unfortunately I named my Lady before I had read any of the Game of Thrones books–about 8 years ago (she’ll be 8 in November!). She was actually named after Lady and the Tramp :P

I’m glad your summer course is over–for a while there, you were worrying me on twitter. It seemed like paper after paper. What class(es) were you taking?

• Liz August 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

It was just one paper but a series of giant novels that I didn’t really have time to read continuously without breaking my brain. lol The course was on Anthony Trollope’s Barsetshire novels.

It must feel so good to have been 8 years ahead of George R.R. Martin. I so want to get a direwolf and name it Lady! (Whether it’s male or female, hahaha!)

• becca August 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Oh how fun–did you enjoy the class overall? I’d love to be able to take a class like that, but I won’t have time for at least a few semesters until I’m all caught up :/

And I feel bad for your future direwolf if it’s a male :P

13. svetlana August 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

i WISH i could say i had a bad week because i purchased some goodies like some of these other lovelies, but alas no. i cannot make any beauty products for another two months. this week has just been stressful. but miss Lady did put a smile on my face for sure! what a blinking precious baby!

14. svetlana August 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

i meant PURCHASE any beauty products. te he.

• becca August 6, 2012 at 1:44 am #

LOL aw, I hate budgets. It’s okay, you can live vicariously through this blog until you can spend money again! :P I’m sorry you had a stressful week–hopefully this weekend will give you a chance to unwind. Do an at-home facial! Those always make me feel better!! :D

15. Lola August 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

SERIOUSLY– Becca, Lady is GORGEOUS!! AM IN LOVE!!

• becca August 6, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Why thank you :D I am afraid all these compliments are going to Lady’s head–she has been so naughty today! :P

16. trishie August 6, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Lady is sooo cute! Watching the sun set ranks highly on my list too, it is the little things that matters!

• becca August 6, 2012 at 2:04 am #

Thanks Trishie! :D And I agree. July started off a little rough for me, but towards the end of the month and now beginning of August, things are really looking up! I’ve kind of had to take a step back and enjoy the little thing and it has really payed off–I feel great! :)

17. Paris B August 6, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Aww just look at that Lady! She’s gorgeous! And like Liz @ Reductionista I immediately thought of Game of Thrones too! I mean she is no direwolf but what a lovely name! :D

I don’t plan my beauty purchases preferring to play by ear. I usually prefer to test in person before buying anything too big ticket and sometimes I grab a pick me up from the pharmacy. Or if I get stressed at work, the its online shopping to the rescue! LOL!

• becca August 6, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Oh trust me Paris–she may not look like a direwolf, but she can definitely have the temper of one…especially when it comes to her food :P

LOL–online shopping can be a dangerous thing. I’m happy I’ve never been a big online shopper. But I’m sure if I had more money, it’d be a different story :P

18. Toya August 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Ahh Lady is so cute Becca!!!! How adorable can you get :)

I used to be all about colored mascaras but I’ve been ‘off’ them for many years now. Although with my new desire to be more edgy makeup-wise, maybe I should check these out? I mean for the price, why not right? Though I’ve never been a fan of Great Lash…

Oh, and I totally plan out my purchases ahead of time, painstakingly so…kinda gets to me sometimes, I’ll admit! :P

• becca August 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks Toya :D

I’ve never been a big fan of Great Lash either–I much prefer a plumping and lengthening mascara, and Great Lash did neither. The brush was too small the formula too wet to really do anything other than make my lashes look darker. BUT, with these great new colored ones, I can just paint it onto a base coat of my trusty CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume mascara to add the color. So excited for this! :D

19. Joyce August 9, 2012 at 5:41 am #

cute doggy! :) I’m impressed with how you can wait to purchase things! OH you should try the chanel bronze universal cream bronzer – it is quite good! There used to be a bobbi brown pot rouge shade called summer tan that I like alot as well, though maybe the milk chocolate shade that exists now will work? Also I’m enjoying the charisma skin tint from lush, which is somewhere in between a liquid and a cream. The hourglass ones always seem super dirty when I see testers in store, and if I remember correctly they do have some shimmer, which I’m not sure if you want? If you don’t mind shimmer then have you thought about a Nars multiple, like st. barts or south beach?

• becca August 9, 2012 at 5:52 am #

LOL the funny thing is I feel like when I do make spontaneous purchases, they’re usually high-end products. It’s the drugstore products that I always wait the longest on. You’d think it’d make more sense to do it the opposite way…ah well. :P

I didn’t realize the Hourglass version was shimmery? Yeah I think it’s time for me to try a matte one–especially since I think the main draw of a cream bronzer is for it to be more natural looking, and it won’t look that natural if it’s shimmery…I have heard a LOT of good things about the Chanel one, so maybe I’ll check that one out! I have the Nars Orgasm Multiple but I don’t really like the texture of it. I find it hard to distribute the product and for some reason, I don’t really like Nars’ cream-to-powder formula…it’s much too powdery and I have a hard time blending it out on my skin over makeup :/

Thanks for all the great recs Joyce! :D

20. mn August 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Maybe Lady is just ‘smizing’ a la Tyra Banks.

• becca August 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Ahahaha—this comment made my day :D

I guess you’re right–she very well could be smizing! I have a little pet model and I didn’t even know it! :P